48" or 52"

mcass50

LawnSite Member
I've been landscaping for the past several years as a part-time job aside from the 40 hours I put in at my full-time job. I'm looking into buying a new mower this spring, most likely a toro grandstand. Just looking for some advice on the deck size. Keep in mind I only have 17 residential customers and a golfing range that takes me 4 hours to mow on saturday mornings w/ my 48" bobcat textron. I know the 52" would be more efficient with the golfing range but what about the residentials?

BaxtersEssentialLawnCare

LawnSite Senior Member
I run a 52 hustler miniz on everything from 5k to over 1 1/2 acres and its fine. On the bigger stuff I want more but on tne small stuff it's perfect. My next ztr will prbly be a 60 and I think that would still be fine on the small ones.

elitelawnteam1

LawnSite Senior Member
last year i demoed a 52 GS and it was great, compared to my 48" scag, you could definitely notice the extra few inches. get the 52" along with bigger engine of the two options.

mattfromNY

LawnSite Bronze Member
Our 52" mower gets more use than any other mower we run. Unless you have gated lawns, you should be fine with a 52. We run the 52 on everything from 1100 square foot 'hell strips' to 3 acre lawns.

Roachy

LawnSite Member
52" seems big at first but it really isnt. You get use to it pretty quick. I use my 52" on 1/8 acre lots and it still works great.

RLS24

LawnSite Bronze Member
it depends what kind of properties you're doing. For example, I went from a 52" Hydro WB/sulkie to a 48" stand on, and I actually saved a lot of time because the 48" could get into more places the 52" was too wide for. And to be honest, even on the big wide open lawns I really don't notice the lack of 4" of cutting width. If you really think about it, 12 passes with a 52" is equal to 13 passes with a 48" so if you're cutting a lawn thats 52 feet wide, you're only going to have to make 1 more pass with a 48", and to me I feel like I make that time up by not having to trim as much because my 48" can get into way more spots than my 52" could. And I also do a few places that have gated yards that my 48" just barely fits through, and I wouldn't want to have to use my 36" WB for those yards! Now, if you're talking going from a 48" to a 60", then thats a significant difference IMO, but I'd rather take the maneuverability of a 48" over the extra 4" of a 52".