• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

48 or 61 wb hydro

John at JDH Select

LawnSite Member
I am going to purchase a new wb for this season and am getting mixed input from everyone I speak to. The purchase is solely for residential mowing, 1/2 acre or less. A few of my counterparts claim that a 61" deck is perfect, while others claim it is to large to put on most residential lawns. What do you guys think?

cgland

LawnSite Bronze Member
John,

We do quite a bit of residential mowing and the two mowers we use are a Ferris 52"Dual Hydro wb and a 48" Wright Stander. These mowers are very versatile, hold hills well, and easy to operate. I think 61" is a little too large and on most residentials you would not be saving that much time by having a larger deck anyway. We will also be using a Walker 48" GHS for manicuring & cleanups. Save the larger mowers for wide open areas. Just my .02

Chris

FrankenScagMachines

LawnSite Platinum Member
52" goes everywhere almost it seems like it fits into all the tight spots and i have one half acre lawn I do it will mow it in 15-20 minutes with sulky. 48" would fit through a couple gates I can't squeeze through but you may need a 52" and use a 21" for those small areas. If you need one large machine to do it all I'd say 52".

thelawnkid

LawnSite Member
go with a 52, because it will go anywhere a 48 will, and it will cut a little better, because it has longer blades. The 4" difference seems like it wouldn't make a difference, but it does. And I think a 52" stripe looks the best