48'' snapper hydro walk behind

Onthern

LawnSite Member
Good morning!

Looking to buy a used walk behind. A gentleman is selling a fairly older model hydro snapper 48" walk behind. He claims it has a brand new pto but the engine(kawasaki) has no spark. My friend said he can probably get it going. He is asking $475. Is this issue listed above worth the purchase of the machine if I go over it and don't see any other major repairs. I have used walk behinds in the past and am pretty mechanically inclined plus the plethora of info I have read on this site I believe I can go over the machine for other potential work needed. Thanks fellas. Link posted below.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/434332660719491/

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
Sure. The only thing is you don't know how the hydros are until it starts. You can prop it up and see if there is any play in the wheel motors, resistance when turning and such. Could be an easy fix, loose wire, ground, coil.

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Good morning!

Looking to buy a used walk behind. A gentleman is selling a fairly older model hydro snapper 48" walk behind. He claims it has a brand new pto but the engine(kawasaki) has no spark. My friend said he can probably get it going. He is asking $475. Is this issue listed above worth the purchase of the machine if I go over it and don't see any other major repairs. I have used walk behinds in the past and am pretty mechanically inclined plus the plethora of info I have read on this site I believe I can go over the machine for other potential work needed. Thanks fellas. Link posted below.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/434332660719491/
I know and have used that model
It’s “ok”
We just bought a 2014 turf tracer hp at auction for $575.00
So comparing the two ... eh , I’d say we got a phenomenal buy and yours is a fair buy.
$800 if it was all running would be fair for that machine, it’s nothing to write home about but it’s not a boat anchor.

The loop steering is a little odd , for average sized people or shorter it’s angled better if your standing on a sulky.
I’m 6’5” and it still felt unnatural to me, hands are placed like I’m taking typing lessons.

I’d probably buy that before I went pushing mowing for a day tho.

OP
O

Onthern

LawnSite Member
Thanks. I will still try and chew him down a bit. I am about 5 10 so this may feel a little better to me. Not having used a newer matchine the loops steering I may get used to as well. Thank you for the input. I'll try and see how it feels esp if he has the sulky.

BigFish

LawnSite Fanatic
Getting it running ain't gonna be too expen$ive, right ?
Howsomever, if the hydro$ need fixing...

You might wanna see can you get it going before ya buy it, to make sure the hydro$ work.