1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

48" Viking

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by QTwo, Aug 29, 2004.

1. QTwo

QTwo LawnSite Member
    from NH

Hi All,

I just found this site and have been VERY impressed with the content and information contained herein during my tour.

I was looking for some feedback and model info on a used 48" Viking hydro and wanted to see your thoughts. My experience with zero turn w/b is nill as I have only used regular Toro, Craftman and MTD mowers/riders.

The Viking would be used for residential use for now and in a few year's for my childs small scale landscaping business that I plan to start. (I had my own landscape business for 10 years in HS and College, a great intro to business)

- 48" Viking Hydro - V48 14K0H - Ser # 127006
    - Kohler Commander 14 HP ProSeries (CV14T)
    - Bagger

Does anyone use this model? Any idea on the age? What should I look out for? Is this way overkill?

The owner is looking for $1300.

Thanks for your assistance.

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

In a 48" I prefer a floater...Viking fiXed is fine in 36" & 32" Decks....

14 Kohler is Older...Mabe Pre 2000 ?!?!?

3. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

good intro mower,the year would be around 1999. could tell you more with a ser#

4. QTwo

QTwo LawnSite Member
    from NH

What is the difference between a floater and fixed? Are all Vikings fixed? My lawn is fairly flat but who knows what ype of lawns we will encounter down the road.

The ser# is 127006. If it is around a 1999, do they hold up well?

5. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

from the serial# you gave me i think that unit may have been sold in 98 but i will do a number check at work. for the life of me
    i cant remember my pass word.
    this unit should hold up well just check it out good.

6. CookTractor

CookTractor LawnSite Member

floating deck is suspended from the mower frame and will float with the terrain. a fixed deck permanently fixed to the frame and does not adjust with the terrain. Yes all vikings are fixed decks, to get a hydro exmark in a floater you have to go with the Turf Tracer