48in Vride and accelerator catcher?

caseysmowing

LawnSite Silver Member
Looking to here from guys with this combo. Looking at adding a catcher for clients that want it bagged. These will more than likely be smaller lawns under 20k. I would also use during leaves if needed. How well do they work on banks with the discharge pointing downhill? I would think they would bind up. Thinking of the jumbo size. I'm guessing I'll have to remove the Powerchute to attach the catcher.
Posted via Mobile Device

gebby

LawnSite Senior Member
I use one on my 52" Z. I use it on a few hills. As a rule it stays on pretty good. At the bottom of a hill, they can catch and can fall off. Mine just sets in there, a pin through a hole on the deck. and a lip that catch's. Gravity holds it on along with that pin. I have the big one with the extender. Seldom do I use the extender with grass but, will use it for leaves. They get really heavy. Eat your Wheaties. I've had it at least 10 years. It has had it's share of bumps and bruises. I have re-built it several times. I've had it re-welded once. The last couple of times, when needed, I just went and got some aluminum , nuts and bolts and a drill. Re-worked it my self. I'd buy another anytime.

OP
C

caseysmowing

LawnSite Silver Member
How heavy does it get without the extender with grass? I plan on dumping it out in a 32gal brute can. Is that going to be too small or will it work without spilling grass all over the place?

gebby

LawnSite Senior Member
Here is what I use. Not saying you have to but, I have found this best for me. I've tried several different ways too. Keep in my accelerator will be happy to sell you a canvas bag. Not sure of the price but, not cheap. The catcher will get very heavy. To lift the whole thing up to dump in any barrel would kill me. Yes if you try to lift it up, you will spill it all over. After some time, I went to our local feed store and got the biggest poly bags for feed that they carry (new). I also thought about burlap bags. The poly bags are .75 cents each, I think they are 100 pound size? These wont, pull, rip or wear out very easily as they are woven. The ones I currently use are at least 5-7 years old. I then cut them down one side and, the bottom with scissors. I then take 2 bags and sew them together making one big bag, on the sewing machine. (Yes mom taught me how to do that) Use as heavy as thread as you can and sew it several times. Leave the top open. If you can't sew, take them to an upholstery shop. They will do for a small charge if you have them cut. Buy 20 bags and turn them in to 10 big bags. The top opening of the bag should be plenty big, wider than the catcher. Turn them inside out. You can stuff them all in to one bag nice and neat for storage. When I emptyy my grass catcher, I open the back door, have the bag on the ground open in front of it and pull the grass in to it. Its a long way back there so I also have a small dirt tool to pull it back for an extender. That helps you reach way back there. Trust me you do not want to lift that catcher above your waist to empty it. The full bags can then be loaded after the mower(s) or equipment is loaded. They are flexible so they will fall in to place. You have 10 bags for less than 20.00. I'm older so, I only fill a bag about half full. If the catcher is clear full, I use 2 bags. They are much easier to handle. When pulling the grass in to the bags, keep the catcher on the deck, that way the bags just slips under the opening. You only lift the bag 3 times. 1 when you mt the catcher, 1 when you load, 1 when you dump the bag.
My helpers still don't get the concept, often they want to pull the catcher off and try to lift the catcher, while holding and dumping in to the bag. It is just too hard that way. The bags fill up pretty quick, especially the first go around. If possibly, empty on concrete and not in the grass. The exhaust will leave burn marks, looking like you spilled gas. Hope that gives you a cheap easy fix.

gebby

LawnSite Senior Member
More info.
Call the company. They may have an application so that you would not have to remove your Power shoot? They may want some pictures and measurements. I had a few 7,500 sq.ft. homes. In the spring 2-4 bags. Summer maybe 1-2 bags per cut. 20,000 sq. ft. IMO is a lot to bag. I'd try every way possible not to bag if I could. I do a lot of retail and bag most everything to help clean up the trash. Only reason I still bag now. If you bag, make sure that you are not doing for free. I'd charge extra for every bag I got. 1.00-5.00. Remember you have to handle every bag a minimum of 3 times.

twomancrew

LawnSite Senior Member
For what it's worth I see a ton of these setups here. Many using this setup now. I don't go after smaller jobs so I can't say anymore than they are VERY popular here.

OP
C

caseysmowing

LawnSite Silver Member
Wow! Very good info. Thank you.
Posted via Mobile Device

Top Forums