• CA Lessons: Landscaping To Reduce Wildfire Risk
    While there are no ways to fireproof a property, there are strategies to design and maintain landscapes for reduced vulnerability. Click here to learn more.

4x2

slplow

LawnSite Senior Member
I had a 1982 chevy 2wd 1 ton dually with a 8ft fisher.It was great in parkinglots with the v box in the back , no chains and for the three year i owned it i never got stuck.

thelawnguy

LawnSite Silver Member
I took a picture of an 8wd today and will post it when its developed.

Its a Mack twin screw tractor with a Mafia block lashed to the fifth wheel, they plow a parking lot with it.

The city plows with Ford twin screw garbage trucks.

Chuck Smith

LawnSite Senior Member
I don't know about Ford and Dodge, but Chevy didn't offer a 4x4 one ton dually until 1977. Even at that, sales of 4x4 models were slow...

In 1977 only 60,779 one ton trucks were made, and only 8% of them 4x4. That's 4,800 4wd 1 tons. Not many compared to 110,416 1/2 tons made that were 4wd, and 12,054 3/4 ton trucks that were 4wd.

In 1978 only 68,010 1 ton trucks were made, this, vs. 540,968 1/2 ton trucks, and 176,735 3/4 ton trucks. No percentages for 4wd models were given in the book I have for 1978.

Don't want to bore you all, just making a point that 4wd wasn't common on 1 ton models until later years. I had a friend that plowed in 1996 with a 95 Ford F-350 12' rack body, 2wd. In the middle of the winter, in the middle of a storm, he was out buying chains for it. He got tired of getting stuck. Needless to say in the spring, he traded it in on a 4wd rack body. He thought like most other landscapers, "I don't need 4wd" when he bought it, and maybe wanted to save on cost. WRONG. <B>You don't need it if you don't want to plow.</B> Yes, you could have a V box on the back, and ballast at all times. But who wants to increase fuel consumption, as well as wear on the truck, just to not get stuck?

~Chuck

Snow Pro

LawnSite Member
I had a couple of 1988 F-350's with 10' contractor beds that were 4x2. No problemas mon! Only once I remember having a problem with one of them. That was pushing uphill on ice. I skidded and had to manuver the truck around...no towtruck needed. I just went at it from a different angle and got it done. I should tell you this is Chicago and we don't get a lot of wet heavy snows.

UNISCAPE

LawnSite Member
WE PLOW WITH A 1981 INTERNATIONAL RACK TRUCK WITH A 14' BODY
SINGLE AXLE. WE FILL IT WITH SNOW AND IT PUSHES THE 10' WESTERN PLOW ACROSS A LARGE PARKING LOT NO PROBLEM!!!