Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little help with this one. I charge $150 per yard install for mulch if it is 16-20 yards or more I drop down to $100 a yard. I do not ever get a job that is over 16 yards. I have to live edge the beds, which will be a separate charge.

Should I just stick with my $150 and not give a reduce price?

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How much mulch and how are you going to get it to the beds?
64 yards. I will have a helper and will be using wheelbarrows. The hardest part will be the main entrance due to the distance from where the mulch will be in the carport. I figured loading up the trailer with mulch and driving it up will work best.

I am thinking about renting an electric wheelbarrow I’ve always wanted to try one of them out. I thought about renting a walk behind dingo.
Sky Plant Road surface Asphalt Tree

Main entrance

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
I need a little help with this one. I charge $150 per yard install for mulch if it is 16-20 yards or more I drop down to $100 a yard. I do not ever get a job that is over 16 yards. I have to live edge the beds, which will be a separate charge.

$150/yard for 64 yards? Good luck with that if you can land it. I'd be renting a small tractor or mini skid to move it around. Scoop it off the pile and move it and dump it. There's no reason to walk that much mulch with wheelbarrows.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
$150/yard for 64 yards? Good luck with that if you can land it. I'd be renting a small tractor or mini skid to move it around. Scoop it off the pile and move it and dump it. There's no reason to walk that much mulch with wheelbarrows.
I’m going to do $100 a yard. I just wanted to know if I should discount from my normal cost of $150. I’m calling around and know has mini skids available, I can however get a concrete buggy for $200 for one day.

The thought of using heavy machinery on turf scares the heck outta me, if I had done it before I would be cool with it.

·
Registered
7,346 Posts
I’m going to do $100 a yard. I just wanted to know if I should discount from my normal cost of $150. I’m calling around and know has mini skids available, I can however get a concrete buggy for $200 for one day.

The thought of using heavy machinery on turf scares the heck outta me, if I had done it before I would be cool with it.
I wouldn't even worry about the buggy. Just get something with a big scoop that will transport it. I can rent a small compact tractor with a FEL on it at my local place. Place plenty of guys post on FB marketplace about renting out their tractor for the day. May get a decent deal that way. I agree with cool breeze about having some dumped at the entrance.

And it seems like your pricing is both ends of extreme. Average in my area is $115/yard. If you sell a bunch at $150 then my hats off to you. I would discount some but maybe $15/yard after the first 15 or 20 yards.

·
Registered
57,775 Posts
I think dropping from 150 to 100 is to great a discount. Your mulch material prices are similar to ours. We pay around $35 + tax so about $38 yard after tax. Some suppliers we pay a bit less.

You're charging 150 yard at 11 yards = 1650
You're charging 100 yard at 16 yards = 1600

We charge $125 yd which includes BASIC prep. We charge anywhere from $1-$1.25 linear foot for edging.

64 yards with 2 guys and wheelbarrows sounds like a ton of work. If I were you, I'd rent a machine and/or try to hire a few buddies for a day or 2.

·
Super Moderator
18,761 Posts
Yes. Equipment is the way to be more efficient. A little cart or small trailer to haul behind your mower might work.
Of course, a mulch blower is much faster. If you cannot do this then perhaps sub it out to a mulch blower and crew.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you’re having the mulch delivered tip the driver and have him dump the necessary yards to do the front entrance closer to these beds.
Only you know your true costs but $100 seems a little low with material cost at $39 especially if this includes your rental fees but it comes down to how much you want the job.
Having mulch dropped by the entrance is a great idea.🤙🏾
Maybe you can get a discount price on the mulch for buying so much at once?
My supplier always hooks me up, I love it when he waves the delivery fee.
You guys don't have bark blowers out there? Job that big I'd be subbing it out to a blower and add my prep and cleanup cost plus a sub percentage.
I have no clue about bark mulch, I know that box stores sell it not sure about my supplier. I would never sub a mulch job, I enjoy doing it to much.

·
Registered
356 Posts

How many yards does it take? How long will it take, you can always charge by the hour, it's better then giving a price and missing what you want to make

·
Registered
144 Posts

I have no clue about bark mulch, I know that box stores sell it not sure about my supplier. I would never sub a mulch job, I enjoy doing it to much.
A Bark blower is a machine that allows you to blow the mulch using a long hose that is attached to the equipment and a large hopper that is filled with your mulch. There are controls at the hose that allows you to control on and off to blow the mulch directly to where it needs to go. You just need someone to load the hopper of the machine which varies in size depending on what model you rent. Game changer when doing such a large job like the one you have.

EDIT: MBX Material Blower - Finn Corporation

·
Registered
1,512 Posts

We have a few companies out here that run giant bark mulch blower trucks that hold 35 yards at a time and can install that in about two hours depending on the site. They will install 35 yards for like $1,600 total. I cannot compete with them with a wheelbarrow and shovel by a long shot. Where I come in on these big jobs is the prep and cleanup as they can be quite messy.
If it is under 10 yards and a very tight yard I will often do it with my guys, as the cleanup can eat up some time.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts