5 gallon tanks

Ridin' Green

LawnSite Fanatic
Start cutting lawns and when you run out, take note of how many you did on that tank and what the grass conditions were. make sure you have a back up can with you when you do it.

IME the various GPH/acres charts are anywhere from close to way off. Conditions make a huge difference in fuel use. Best way to find out what a machine will do is use it on your properties.

Mumblingboutmowers

LawnSite Senior Member
As Ridin said "conditions make a huge difference". You will probably use much less this time of year than when it's growing like crazy in the spring. I have 2 yards on the same road that are similar in size, one has thin grass and the other is really thick and always grows like crazy, even now when it's been dry. The amount of gas required to mow the thick yard is a lot more than the other.

Never price a yard on how difficult it is to cut this time of year, because you will be losing money when it grows in the spring in both time and gasoline usage.

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
How do you best determine how many lawns can be cut on one fill up?
You don’t. It’s not a good data stat. The best is to record your gallon per hour. Fill it up, record the hours on your machine, start mowing, and when you’re empty record the hours. Subtract the latter hour record from the beginning hour record and viola, you have GPH on your machine and your properties.

OP
FitzRightYardServices

FitzRightYardServices

LawnSite Senior Member
Start cutting lawns and when you run out, take note of how many you did on that tank and what the grass conditions were. make sure you have a back up can with you when you do it.

IME the various GPH/acres charts are anywhere from close to way off. Conditions make a huge difference in fuel use. Best way to find out what a machine will do is use it on your properties.
Makes sense I'm just trying to figure everything out for when I upgrade.

As Ridin said "conditions make a huge difference". You will probably use much less this time of year than when it's growing like crazy in the spring. I have 2 yards on the same road that are similar in size, one has thin grass and the other is really thick and always grows like crazy, even now when it's been dry. The amount of gas required to mow the thick yard is a lot more than the other.

Never price a yard on how difficult it is to cut this time of year, because you will be losing money when it grows in the spring in both time and gasoline usage.
I enjoy double cutting in order to show different stripes from all angles....so I'm guessing that I would waste a ton of guess!