Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a 50:1 mix alright for use in a Lawnboy commercial mower? 2 dealers I deal with have told me different stories. One says it is o.k. while the other says it is too thin a mixture and it will eventually damage the engine. He reccomended sticking with the 32:1 ratio suggested by Lawnboy. Any thoughts? Thanks

· Registered
2,479 Posts
Joe-
I run my lawnboy off a 50:1 mix and it runs fine (kow). I used to fuss with having two sepparate mix containers one 50 for the weedos and blowers and another for the LB but switiched over a year or so ago.....

Shouldnt be a problem....but I would stick with the lawn boy 2 cycle mix or somthing of a comparable grade.

· Registered
8,205 Posts
I used 50:1 for 10 years on my old Commercial Lawnboy (still running fine for my Dad).

And now run 80:1 AMSOIL on the new Commercial Lawnboy. Its all in the quality of the oil. The old LB oil at 32:1 was good for one thing.....Fogging mosquitos~!!!

Oh and it was also good at clogging mufflers and exhaust ports. Haven't cleaned my new muffler yet and its a 1998 model!!!

· Banned
3,107 Posts
I use only Stihl oil in my Stihls, and only Lawnboy oil in my Lawnboy. It doesn't cost much more to do it right. I write Stihl and Lawnboy on the gascans.
Crawdad

· Registered
5,736 Posts
What TLS said but I can run it at 100:1 and have been since 1998. Starts on 1 pull or 1 spin of the starter every time and has lots of power.

The Lawnboy oil is a scam to have you buy high priced name brand oil because it goes with the mower.

I know Amsoil works WITHOUT smoke. It is synthetic. Petroleum based oil smokes, if it all isn't burned in combustion then it turns to sludge. That gums plugs and exhaust ports. That is what brings the homeowners in for service but thats another story.

No I am not an Amsoil dealer.

· Registered
185 Posts
Originally posted by joed
Is a 50:1 mix alright for use in a Lawnboy commercial mower? 2 dealers I deal with have told me different stories. One says it is o.k. while the other says it is too thin a mixture and it will eventually damage the engine. He reccomended sticking with the 32:1 ratio suggested by Lawnboy. Any thoughts? Thanks
A little insight: The new LB engines were designed to run @ 50:1. It was going to cost LB several 1000 $$$ to have new gas caps made up to say 50:1. I run Stihl in ALL my 2 stroke equipment. That includes: LB, Toro Suziki, Stihl saw, Echo blower, Toro trimmer (maryama made)

· Registered
579 Posts
i've been wondering about this?

· Registered
6,460 Posts
I ran my old LB (pre Dura-Force) engine with 32:1 LB oil for a couple of years - with many exhaust port clogging problems. I had to get a new engine plate because the tapped holes for the muffler from the bottom were stripped out from the on/off.

Last season, I started running 100:1 Amsoil. I've had no clogging problems since.

I also have four pieces of Stihl gear, trimmer, edger, hedge clipper and blower. I used Stihl oil, 50:1 until this past season. I switched to the same Amsoil 100:1 mix I used in the old LB. They had no clogging problems and started/ran better.

My Toro Sizuki still is running Stihl oil, 50:1. I've not had the guts to put 100:1 Amsoil in it yet -- it has ran so well for two years, with no clogging problems (used about 130 gallons of mixed fuel this past season). Maybe next year I'll skip the Stihl oil and go to all Amsoil.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.