Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys:waving:, I need to put in a bid on 50 seperate one acre plots that need brush hogged. (combined into one bid). Because of the way they are spread out I can only figure on doing about 10 of the one acre plots a day. They were all last mowed 5 yrs ago, and may have up to 1" saplings growing that need to be cut also.

This is a govt job. It is a long ways from home, and travel/hotel will be required. I will log about 1000 miles, 70 equipment hours, and have to hotel it for the week.

I am looking at renting either a large tracked loader or a toolcat to do this with. Leaning towards the toolcat because the high road speed would cut down on loading/unloading a loader 10 times a day. Just drive the tool cat from plot to plot.

I am looking at $4500 in expenses to complete this job, including machine rental. Anyone done anything like this before? I have a pretty good idea of what I am gonna bid for this, but I thought I would see if anyone else has bid something similar, and how it went? I am not gonna say what I am looking at bidding it at until I hear a couple honest replies. Whats a good bid? payup

edit: if I get this job, it opens the doors to many many more LARGE govt jobs, just gotta start with the small ones to build a history.:weightlifter:

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
5 years of growth and only 1' saplings? unless you have been on site? "wishful thinking" my friend, I would expect 4" or larger tree's to say the least.
I took over a pipe line right of way mowing contract 3 years ago, we use a Kubota MX 6800 4x4 tractor with loader & HD landpride bushogg, and a Kubota RTV900 with 3 guys, and 3 Stihl FS250r's two MS290's working are tails off 40 hrs a week . 1 year of growth required a whole summer season to get to a maintenance level weeks of tree felling, and pushing tree's & brush off the pipe line. A Bobcat Toolcat:laugh: your in over your head with that thing. First You need something much bigger to use on this project, the distance alone has you handicapped IMO. Your not going to be able to "rent" anything nice enough to make this worth your time.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I agree 4 inches or bigger TREES....toolcat may be nice but not for this job..check with the local equipment rental close to the job you need a 100 hp tractor and batwing but most place wont rent a batwing out down here so good luck. Can't belive there no one closer to do this job for you..1000miles and it only 50 acre

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I should of been more clear, according to the specs ONLY saplings less than 1 inch are to be taken down, anything larger will stay.

It is only 350 miles from my location, but with round trip, and with driving while there (to/from the nearest hotel daily), I will log a total of about 1000 miles.

I have talked to the local CAT and Bobcat dealers, and for $3000 I can rent a large machine for a month. I plan on purchasing a rotary mower for the front of a skid steer for this project. I did not include that in my costs posted because when purchased it becomes an asset.

I am looking at bidding this at ~$14,000 btw. I am making the trip up to inspect it on thursday, and will adjust from there.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Well, I can tell you I have been doing bank repo jobs I been mowing two acre lots a few miles from me for $500.00. I just bid a job about 12 miles away for $570.00. In my opinion I probably should have added on another hour bringing it up to $640.00.. All the lots is just tall weeds and grass about 4.5' tall but no saplings to mow down. I mow it with a 55hp tractor and 6' bush hog. It takes me about 2.5 hours to mow per acre and I do a quick second mowing that takes about an hour per acre. For a job like yours that is 50 different lots you are talking allot of money because of travel involved. Dont forget a good bit of what you would be mowing you would have to mow in reverse so you do not tear up the panels on the tractor from saplings. Also having to go around a bunch of trees makes the job much longer I can tell you that for a fact. In my opinion you need at least a 100hp tractor and a 15' batwing. Usually the rates are different for them since you can mow more per hour. But If I figured the job here is what I would at least need to have.

$14,000 for 175 hrs at $80.00 an hour

figure at least 20 hours for truck and trailer driving $1600.00

I would say $15,600 should cover it. Now take into consideration I figured this price at what Im getting with a 6' bush hog. Usually on bigger jobs such as this with a batwing the price goes down some. I would not do if for any less than $13,000.00... Anything can go wrong on these jobs such as flats and so on. It is slow mowing.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
$15,000 is too low, for example: locally Hertz rental is charging $2,500 a week 5 day weekends free for a Toro Dingo 525 wide track??, I could not image what a decent tractor & bushog would cost to rent long term, IMO you will not be able to rent a batwing mower to expensive for most rental companies to stock, and high risk/liability to put in the hands of a renter. I hate to be negative your going to loose your ARSE, on this one. Are you the only one bidding on this; because if you are, and the Government knows what it should cost, and you bid high for your business size, but low for the "government" budget you loose they win, is what I'm saying. I would bid at least $18,500.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
One more thing I would take a quick look at the lots before bidding. When you say a big loader you may need one with a mulching head. If it is that slow going your gonna need more money.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Well, I am figuring my prices on the equipment I own. Yes, if you have to rent equipment than you may have to allow more. I would think John Deere or some other dealership would rent you a used batwing and a big tractor.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Our Kubota MX6800 & loader 4x4 with landpride RX260 bushog is a monster it consumes vegitation over the hood and saplings up to 1 1/2" thick going forward with no problem. You really need a medium or large tractor something that if you purchased would cost $30,000 to do this job. So bid the job as if your purchasing a new tractor just for this job? another thought on how you might tackle this.

I feel your still at a disadvantage:cry: unless you own the equipment, or can get a long term 3 year contract to justify the tractor purchase. Maybe the Government has some deep pockets:usflag:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Why are they one acre plots? Where they for future government housing? If so, any septics or wells on them? If so, you may need to get ahold of the health agency to get maps of each lot to find out where things are at. Keep a close eye for stumps. Again like I said before add on your cost of renting the equipment to the top of the price. Also if you where to buy a new 100hp tractor and a new batwing $30,000.00 would not even come close to touching it.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
I think the biggest thing that goes against you is the distance traveled and the renting of the equipment.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys wow this thread really took off! One off the points brought up was that it may be a "high" bid to me, but a "low" bid to the govt. That is exactly what I am trying to avoid, I dont want to leave any $$ on the table, which is why I am asking about it here.

Nosparkplugs and fieldman-- I have ruled out the toolcat and instead have priced rental on a CT332 Deere and a T300 Bobcat. These are hi-flow hi-hp machines.

I can rent either for a month for $3400. Bobcat has a flail mower that I can rent for a month @ $3000, or I can purchase one for around $9000. The Deere dealership has a landpride 72" rotary mower that I can rent for $400/month. They assured me that it will take down up to 2" saplings with little effort.

According to minimax, (another member on here who does brush hogging with a CTL), I should be able to do an acre in 2 hours. So at that rate, 6 a day, 9~10 days work. With that thinking, I would like $1k/day profit, so that puts me at about $17-18k bid.

Fieldman- They are 1 acre wildlife habitat plots in a state forest. No fences, no wells, just grass, brush, and keep an eye out for rocks.

Nosparkplugs- I asked how much response they get to this type of solictation and they said it's usually about a half dozen bidders. I have to assume that most of them are large companies with large overhead, so I dont want to bid low, because I know they are not.

One other thing, I am actually bidding on 2 of these contracts, both for the same thing (the other one is 40 acres), but I am opperating on the possiblity of only getting one and making sure that it is still profitable. If I got the second one also, it would be almost pure profit.

These are actually pretty small contracts for what is out there. I have seen other solicitations for a couple hundred miles of ditch mowing, but I want to "get my feet wet" with govt contracts on these relatively small contracts first, because its a one time buy contract, and the ditch mowing ones are usually for a term of 1-3 yrs. There are also Bud Capping & Basal Pruning contracts available, once again, to big to dive into. I just want to get a solid bid that puts decent money in my pocket, and that can give me a good reference for future work.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
man I wish the gov. had some of those lots down here at those prices. what are you mowing maybe there is some down here.
Contact your local DNR. :weightlifter:

Oh and dont forget DOT.:cool2:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Does it have to be cut? It seems easier to push it and burn it when trees are involved. lol. I have been maintaining our farm fence-rows lately, we take a 7410 and sm 60 through first, then finish with an 8410 and a 14' rome cutting disc. It works well. I doubt that'd work though, I would look into a MTL and a landoll carbide tip cutter, I have demo'ed this setup earlier this spring and it worked well. It was a 332 and 6' cutter I beleive.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does it have to be cut? It seems easier to push it and burn it when trees are involved. lol. I have been maintaining our farm fence-rows lately, we take a 7410 and sm 60 through first, then finish with an 8410 and a 14' rome cutting disc. It works well. I doubt that'd work though, I would look into a MTL and a landoll carbide tip cutter, I have demo'ed this setup earlier this spring and it worked well. It was a 332 and 6' cutter I beleive.

Thanks,
No they wont let me burn it. It has to be done how they want it lol.

I really dont think there will be alot of trees in these openings that need mowing. This is way up north (like on the canadian border) and trees grow slow, If it was all mowed 5 yrs ago, I dont see alot of trees to deal with. The biggest issue will be getting to the plots, not sure if a large tractor will even get to them. A 332 with a flail mower would probally be the best bet for sure.

Anyways, I will know more after I look at it on thursday.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
No they wont let me burn it. It has to be done how they want it lol.

I really dont think there will be alot of trees in these openings that need mowing. This is way up north (like on the canadian border) and trees grow slow, If it was all mowed 5 yrs ago, I dont see alot of trees to deal with. The biggest issue will be getting to the plots, not sure if a large tractor will even get to them. A 332 with a flail mower would probally be the best bet for sure.

Anyways, I will know more after I look at it on thursday.
During the the spring we cannot access some parts of the pipe line under water or a bog, I will tell you the Bobcats do not have very good ground clearance. All The ASV machines have industry leading ground clearance,and were the only machine we did not get stuck their incredible in the mud float on top, were the Bobcats sunk like lead, if we cannot use our 4x4 Kubota MX6800 we rent a ASV 85 or 100 with rotory mower, much better than the Bobcats:laugh: Here we go I started a war, but for what i have used the tracked Bobcats for they get suck easier than the ASV period

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nosparkplugs. I agree with you 100% on the floation ability of the ASV. I dont have a local dealer that rents ASV though. But I will be close to thier factory, so maybe I can contact them for a "long demo" lol

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
saw the land. Figured out costs. Bid it at costs + profit = bid. Got the bid, happy with where it ended up. Thanks guys!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.