Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much would you charge to put 50 yards of pine mulch down at a hospital.. this can be done any way you want.. give me your prices and how you would go about this task... there are numerous beds everywhere.. from parking lot islands... to entrance way gardens.....

· Registered
260 Posts
for a small amount like 50 yards, I'd have a 5 man crew spread it by hand. deliver the mulch to the site and load your pickup or dumptruck, get close to the beds and move thru it.

for 50 yards a mulch blower is a waste. even 2 or 3 men can spread that quickly especially on a hosp. campus. try doing it in the evening or weekend when their is alot less traffic.

and about $50 a yard.

· Banned
1,757 Posts
Here's a good rule of thumb

2 - 4x your cost of material, for material and labor. If you have extenuating circumstances that make the job more difficult than higher than 4x is acceptable.

If I am doing bulk like 50 yards. I base the estimate on the per yard cost. Though I am buying the 50 yards at less than the per yard price.

If your paying say $20 per yard for the mulch 2.5 - 3x is fair.
If your paying say $65 for a gravel then 2.5 - 3 is fair.
for that 50 yard job

· Banned
8,283 Posts
This formula works pretty well.

Originally posted by GLAN
Here's a good rule of thumb

2 - 4x your cost of material, for material and labor. If you have extenuating circumstances that make the job more difficult than higher than 4x is acceptable.

If I am doing bulk like 50 yards. I base the estimate on the per yard cost. Though I am buying the 50 yards at less than the per yard price.

If your paying say $20 per yard for the mulch 2.5 - 3x is fair.
If your paying say $65 for a gravel then 2.5 - 3 is fair.
for that 50 yard job

· Banned
13,159 Posts
so, what if im payin $10 a yard? i should do it for $25-$30 a yard? not a chance. what u r paying for material is irrelevent. i have this place i get mulch sometimes. its $15 a yard, but when u ask for 2 yds, they give u three easily, maybe more, they keep fillin till u yell STOP! so, actual cost is really like $8-$10 a yard. im still gettin my $65 a yard. if the job calls for 3 yds, and i only pay $30 for the 3 yds, i still charge $195.

· Banned
1,757 Posts
However they want to fill your truck is their business. They put in 3 you pay for 2. Fine.

I get what you charge for mulch and for me it is 3x. I pay more than you do.

And yes there are some work we do that I am cool with charging less. Like home owners that pay me for complete maintenance service. Shrubs trimmed 2x, Annual flowers all around, then change over to fall Mums and Kale with Pumpkin displays.

And the commercial properties where we mulch every year and we do the same as above.

I will also discount mulch to first time users so that I can get mulch down and not have to cultivate beds the rest of the year. Same reason I push flowers. I make money and I have a motive in that the men don't need to take the time doing beds

· Banned
8,283 Posts
Bobby,that is based on buying good quality, triple ground, colored mulch.We also have a place that we can buy for 12 dollars a yard (minimum 5 yards) but the quality is not there and we only use it on small jobs where there isn't much money to be made,and not for regular customers.

· Banned
1,799 Posts
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
my cost - brown or red wood mulch here is $16.00yd ($20yd for homeowner)

my cost -natural is $9.00 yd ($10yd for homeowner)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this stuff is ground up pallets, etc.

I currently do not add anything to any of the materials for any job. I charge what I pay. I do charge for labor to get the mulch.

No, I am not a scrub and I need to stop charging as one...I am going to change that next year.payup

· Banned
1,799 Posts
everything i learned, i learned from my best friend bobby.

;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.