500 foot hedge quote help

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Kram222, Sep 11, 2019.

1. Kram222

Kram222 LawnSite Member

Help me out please. I have a new potential commercial job. The guy said if I do a good job on the hedges then he would let me take the care of everything next year.

The hedges are 509 feet long, 12 feet high and never been trimmed. They need the trimming but they aren’t crazy over grown. I’ve seen much worse. I am good at hedging but I’ve never nodded on something this long before. I ran my numbers and am sitting at 2167.50$. I feel it just but am not sure. Is it too high or low? I figure it’s a 3 day job but could be way off. Again never done anything this big before. Your help, please.

2. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

Your number sounds pretty good. We do a very similar hedge for a client 2x yearly. Hers are about 250' linear and fairly wide at 5-6'. We charge $800 each time we do it.

Total job takes about 12 labor hours including cleanup. We have to literally drive down the road and around to reach the other side.

Cam15, hort101 and JLSLLC like this.
  3. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Call and get a quote from one of the companies in your area.. I’d be a tad less based on what you estimated,(but I’m solo, and have a low dump fee) so your most likely in the ballpark. Good luck

Cam15, GrassManKzoo and hort101 like this.
  4. Mac-s Lawn & Snow

Mac-s Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

Just beware the promise of more and better work down the road is used by some people to get a better price for the job when they have no intention of you doing more work for them. You bid looks pretty good, so if they counter with something under $2000 retract your bid!

Edit: I didn't see what type of hedge this is, If they are evergreens and this is anywhere the ground freezes hard they probably should be left until spring.

5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Don't fall for the "I've got more work" scam. Price it out as a one time job and go from there.

6. Ijustwantausername

Ijustwantausername LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd give them a range of $2500-3000. Pictures would be nice, however.

Jeff@diyokc likes this.