Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I like the idea of the Oil Guard System. The circulation of the extra volume of oil keeping the engine cooler seems logical to increase engine life. Changing oil every 500 hrs. or yearly verses every 100 hrs. is another benefit. With the System draining oil and replacing filter is quick and hassle free compared to the conventional method.

What I don’t like about the System is the idea of pouring 5 quarts of new oil into the reservoir while still having 1 quart of 500 hr. used oil in engine crankcase.

Once the new 5 quarts are combined with the 1 old quart, the percentages would be 16.66 % old oil and 83.34 % New oil.

My question is : With these percentages would the viscosity of the new oil change, since it is mixed with the old? So how new is the total volume of circulating oil?

I feel sure there are several people on this forum with technical backgrounds that can explain this further.

·
Registered
9,857 Posts

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
I like the idea of the Oil Guard System. The circulation of the extra volume of oil keeping the engine cooler seems logical to increase engine life.
I don't think they claim increased engine life. But keeping the oil temp cooler with the larger total capacity allows them to stretch the interval to 500 hours without the oil breaking down.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Only thing I could see about engine life is this, and it seems to be referring to extending the life of the oil over 500 hours by minimizing thermal breakdown to keep the protective qualities intact (versus non oil guard engine).

If it actually increased engine life I'd guess they'd bump up the warranty to match. Ultimately it's still an air cooled engine. However the 45 degree angle of operation from the dry sump system is impressive, I think the Kawasakis max out at 30 degrees on the Ventracs (with 10 mins prior to having to turn and switch directions).

Font Circle Rectangle Art Number

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why can't the final quart of oil be removed?
It would have to be removed from engine crankcase. I watched a video months ago of a man showing how to drain all oil, but I can’t find it now. I think he was showing it on a Ferris if I remember correcty.

Even if I couldn’t figure out how to drain all 6 quarts, my next mower will have the System, unless something better becomes available.

My current Super Z Hyperdrive 37 hp. EFI has only 860 hrs. But if and when the inventory becomes available, I might sell my mower and buy another Hyperdrive with the Vanguard 40 hp. EFI / ETC with Oil Guard System.

·
Registered
19,231 Posts
I bet the engine still only lasts an average of 2/3000 hours before it’s toast. Let us know in a few years.
It is my understanding that oil guards claim to fame is longer oil life, not necessarily longer engine life. Using conventional oil change intervals, a 3000 hr mower would require 30 oil changes. A 3000 hr oil guard mower would require 6 oil changes.

The materials and labor savings of 24 oil changes, as well as the set it and forget it for the season perk, is where oil guard shines.

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
It is my understanding that oil guards claim to fame is longer oil life, not necessarily longer engine life. Using conventional oil change intervals, a 3000 hr mower would require 30 oil changes. A 3000 hr oil guard mower would require 6 oil changes.

The materials and labor savings of 24 oil changes, as well as the set it and forget it for the season perk, is where oil guard shines.
Yes I know..... but if I use 5 times as much oil for the 6 changes as I do with the 30, and no engine life increase, what's the advantage? I don't have to change oil as often? Big deal. It's an easy job.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes I know..... but if I use 5 times as much oil for the 6 changes as I do with the 30, and no engine life increase, what's the advantage? I don't have to change oil as often? Big deal. It's an easy job.
What mower are you referring to that the oil change is an easy job? Location of filter determines how easy or difficult it may be.

On my Hyperdrive the location of the oil filter is a pain to get to. During a previous oil change while unscrewing, the filter slipped out of my hand and poured oil everywhere in that area. It was a nightmare trying to reach and clean those areas.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do the math.

2 quarts x 30 changes = 60 quarts
5 quarts x 6 changes = 30 quarts

How can you use 5 times as much oil with 6 changes? You would use only half as much?

BTW, my oil change requires 2.5 quarts. So for me 30 changes would require 75 quarts.

·
Banned
1,290 Posts
Do the math.

2 quarts x 30 changes = 60 quarts
5 quarts x 6 changes = 30 quarts

How can you use 5 times as much oil with 6 changes? You would use only half as much?

BTW, my oil change requires 2.5 quarts. So for me 30 changes would require 75 quarts.
I wasn’t trying to be exact. My Kohlers don’t take 2 qts. It was relative. Besides, in 2000 or 3000 hours I’m not looking for cost savings in oil changes. If I bought 60 or 30 quarts of oil over let’s say 4 years, I save $120. (Just to be clear, that’s not an exact number. I estimated $4/qt.) That’s a $30/year savings. Well book the cruise! Big money there! 🙄. It costs over $100 to change oil in a diesel pickup.... once.

·
Registered
752 Posts
If say your engine normally holds 2 qts. of oil in the crankcase, someone 'splain' to me how having 5 more qts in a dry sump above the engine doesn't overfill the crankcase? Is it metered? Is there is a check valve? And just HOW much cooler is the oil in the dry sump vs. that in the crankcase? They don't allude to that?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[
If say your engine normally holds 2 qts. of oil in the crankcase, someone 'splain' to me how having 5 more qts in a dry sump above the engine doesn't overfill the crankcase? Is it metered? Is there is a check valve? And just HOW much cooler is the oil in the dry sump vs. that in the crankcase? They don't allude to that?
Did you watch the videos from Vanguard explaining exactly how the oil circulates and stays cooler keeping the engine cooler?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Can anyone answer my questions from original post?

Quote:
Once the new 5 quarts are combined with the 1 old quart, the percentages would be 16.66 % old oil and 83.34 % New oil.

My question is : With these percentages would the viscosity of the new oil change, since it is mixed with the old? So how new is the total volume of circulating oil?”

·
Registered
198 Posts
It's geared more towards the commercial guys in my opinion. Say "Joe blow" puts over 7-800 hours on a mower a year. Well now he only has to change the oil once vs 3or 4 times. Less downtime. Like I said this is just my look on it. Each year these company's have to come out with something "revolutionary" that makes there product better than the other guys.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts