1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

52" exMark Lazer ZHP Cutting Problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by statman, Sep 18, 2007.

1. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

I just started getting a ragged cut the past few days. This is the 4th season for this set of blades and the lifts are badly worn. I had gotten lazy and had been sharpening my blades on a steeper angle to save time. I took an hour and reground the ~30 degree angle and am now getting two strips where the outside spindles are. The center is a good cut. Do you think new blades will cure this or is it more serious, like a slipping belt?

2. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

I would get yourself a set of new blades. The cut should improve 100 percent. After 4 years I would say that you got your money's worth.

JP

3. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I got a 52" turf tracer .I change my blades every 2 weeks . no prob. Love my w/behind!! Keep 3 sets in shop to rotate.

4. mudwisr2

mudwisr2 LawnSite Senior Member

4 yrs! How much do you cut a week? If I had to guess I would say my blades would look like a tooth pick if I ran them that long :) Go ahead and buy yourself some new blades. You deserve it.

5. statman

statman LawnSite Senior Member

I cut the equivalent of about 40 residentials a week. I rotate 2 or 3 sets of blades, I guess that is why I use them so long.