52 vs 48 inch deck on a Walker

CircleC

LawnSite Senior Member
Any of you guys use a 52 grass handling deck. How well does it cut, I might be looking to buy mower with a 52 inch deck vs the 48. If the 52 doesnt cut/bag as well I might just sell the 52 inch deck and get a 48. Just thought I would ask around.

Thanks

electric

LawnSite Member
Hands down the 52" will lay down nicer darker crisper stripes all the way through the width of the stripe, plus you don't have to worry about overlapping to much which will make the 48GHS stripe look like an uneven cut when it's nothing more than to much overlap if you don't pay attention. From what I have been told the 48RGHS deck stripe destroys the plain 48GHS deck as far as striping is concerned. As far as overall leaf clean up goes and heavy grass vacuum even wet is concerned noting will touch the plain 48GHS deck. So you have both sides of the coin, plain vaccum with nice a nice stripe, or reverse rotation with insane dark stripes. In perfect grass conditions, time of year, moisture content, chemically enhanced the reverse rotation decks are baseball field quality stripes without a striping roller. I use a combination of decks, 56" SD, 48" GHS, 52RGHS. In the spring plan on demo with the 48RGHS deck.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
C

CircleC

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks for the info....mower will have the 31 horse kohler, so power won't be an issue. I wasn't sure how the 52 would do, I do like the striping it can do. I'll probably look for a 42GHS once the season gets going. Any other info would help...
Posted via Mobile Device

electric

LawnSite Member
I have the 20.9 hp mdd diesel and with the 52RGHS deck the engine never drops rpm even through heavy thick grass with mowing at 7 mph at short bursts to see if it could handle it (speed up kit with rmps set at 3600 now) You should have no problems with mtl31. What year is your mower?
Posted via Mobile Device

electric

LawnSite Member
Thanks for the info....mower will have the 31 horse kohler, so power won't be an issue. I wasn't sure how the 52 would do, I do like the striping it can do. I'll probably look for a 42GHS once the season gets going. Any other info would help...
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't think I hit reply on that last post.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
C

CircleC

LawnSite Senior Member
Its an 09' has 1000.2 hours. Looking to buy in the next few days, was a bank repo, hoping to get a good deal on it. Its in good shape, so we'll see. also looking at 2010 MTL26 EFI and it has a 48GHS, 785 hrs. but its about 7 hours away. See which will give me the best deal.
Posted via Mobile Device

electric

LawnSite Member
Its an 09' has 1000.2 hours. Looking to buy in the next few days, was a bank repo, hoping to get a good deal on it. Its in good shape, so we'll see. also looking at 2010 MTL26 EFI and it has a 48GHS, 785 hrs. but its about 7 hours away. See which will give me the best deal.
Posted via Mobile Device
The Mtl31 has lots of power, quiet and smooth. That 2009 is what the dealer/ friend called the second generation mtl31 and should be ok. Stay far away from the 2011 mtl31 because of all the new design problems they have been having with them. The dealer says they have great luck with the mt26efi. Yours being a mt26efi 2010 you should have no problems. Built after sept 2010 and you should not have hydro issues as in the past. I have mdd because I don't want ECM issues, plus I don't trust kohlers. I have seen a MTl31 for sale on e-bay in the past that had a rebult engine at only 1200 hours! It's hard for me to trust kohlers when I see that, and read all the bad buzz on them here at this web site. Just use the search type in kohler problem, you will want to throw up!
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
C

CircleC

LawnSite Senior Member
Man...your scaring me! I'm hoping it will all work out and I can get atleast 3k hours out of it. With what I described, what kinda worth would you put on them. Just curious...
Posted via Mobile Device

MOW ED

LawnSite Fanatic
Sorry I am not talking about a 52 ghs deck but I have a 52SD and I will add to get the double blade set up. It is an awesome deck that gives outstanding results in dry as well as wet. It throws grass very well and leaves a very nice finish. I spun mine with a 26EFI so a 31 will have more than enough snot to turn it. If you arent going to bag a 52 sd with doubles is yur best bet.