5th lawn app replacement

Mow Money Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
I am having a dilemma trying to figure out how to replace our 5th lawn application with a weed treatment and starter fertilizer for our customers receiving core aeration & overseeding.

The weed treatment will be provided approximately 2 weeks before overseeding. The starter fertilizer will be spread on the same day.

First of all, I need to inform our customers about replacing their 5th lawn app with starter fertilizer and weed treatment on their estimate and invoice.

I am curious to know how you handle this situation?

Should I create a new service name to describe we are replacing their 5th lawn app? If so, what should I name it?

Should I separate treating crabgrass, nutsedge and broadleaf weeds from starter fertilizer and charge for both of these?

Our 5th lawn application is fertilizer and blanket/spot spray weeds.

Our advertisement went out 2 days ago for core aeration and overseeding. As our customers are requesting an estimate, I am at a stand still trying to figure out how to handle this.

Thanks for your time!

BigJlittleC

Banned
Don't over think it. Clients should see 5th app on the invoice if you sold them X amount of apps. What you apply should be up to you.

So client invoice would have line item for app 5 and then the one for seeding.

m_ice

LawnSite Senior Member
Not sure how the verbiage is in your contracts but we specify the ability for us to adjust or deviate from the original application due to unforeseen circumstances.
This would qualify as 1 of those times, other examples are when we need to add a sedge or other unforeseen weed nuisances, fungicides, insecticides ( these would be an upcharge).

OP
M

Mow Money Lawn Care

LawnSite Senior Member
Thanks! I suppose I have been over thinking it. I should just charge for the 5th app and apply what I need to.

I like the idea of notifying the customer ahead of time that we may need to deviate from our original plan for unforeseen circumstances.

andersman02

LawnSite Bronze Member
If we PA/OS we note it in our software and let our technicians decide whether they can do a normal app (if the PA/OS was a while back) or if they need to use starter fert. The customer is none the wiser, however some do ask about that and we tell them we will do a starter app on all our overseeds unless it has been a while.

walkinonwater27

LawnSite Senior Member
I wouldn't bother with the two separate treatments unless that particular lawn is a total mess. your going to spend a lot of gas and man hours spot spraying and putting starter at different times. I do apply starter to aerated and seeded lawns and spot spray at the same time, never had an issue. if your truly spot spraying with a handcan or even off the rideon (low volume) you wont kill the seed. if the whole lawn is crabgrass and weeds, id go with the two week prior idea.

walkinonwater27

LawnSite Senior Member
also I would say customers love to know you are doing the right thing and know what your talking about. I would inform them its a starter fertilizer on the invoice just to clear up any confusion and keep the phone from ringing with questions.