1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

5'x14' single axle

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Nova, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Nova

Nova LawnSite Member

I am currently in a bind.

Would a 5'x14' open trailer work out ok with a single 3500# axle? I figured anything over 12' would need tandem.

I only have a 32" Ferris Hydrocut and 21" Toro Proline, but after reading the countless posts of people needing more than they originally thought, I'm thinking a 14' would be wise.

I don't plan on buying a rider anytime soon, but maybe a 48" walkbehind eventually. But I figure I'd use the extra space for bags of fertilizer, spreader, tool box, etc.

2. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

A single axle 14' will do just find..for now. A lot of guys around here pull single axle 14' trailers w/ no brakes. Single axles will ride rougher on the road/highway and bounce more. Maybe sway a little, but will do fine. But, if you have a flat, you have to pull over right then and replace, with a tandem, you can at least pull over to a safe place to change the tire.

3. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I went from 4x8 to 5x12 then to 6.5x16 tandom in 3 years.A 6x12 would be better than 5x14.You can't put a 60" on a 5 x14,a 60" mower needs about 62.,and 5x14 is prob. actually about 58.5-59 inside.--that 3500 axle wt. includes trailer itself.Anything over 3500 requires brakes.--:)

4. gardenpro

gardenpro LawnSite Member
    from -

I was told not to go longer than 10' on a single. ANd think about the brakes they'll save your trucks.