60" ZTR vs 61" Stander

Stanton Lawn Services

LawnSite Member
I have a Deere Z915E with the 60" deck and I've been running it since last October and I do like it, but I had a Wright 52" stander and then a Deere 648R before the Ztrak and I've found myself missing standing a bit. I've debated picking up a used 61" stander just so I can either switch it up every once in a while when I'm running solo or have two mowers going on some of my larger properties. How do the 61 standers do? Do they scalp a lot? Is the 23.5 hp engine on the Deere 661R enough power for cutting fescue at 3.5"-4"?

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I have a Deere Z915E with the 60" deck and I've been running it since last October and I do like it, but I had a Wright 52" stander and then a Deere 648R before the Ztrak and I've found myself missing standing a bit. I've debated picking up a used 61" stander just so I can either switch it up every once in a while when I'm running solo or have two mowers going on some of my larger properties. How do the 61 standers do? Do they scalp a lot? Is the 23.5 hp engine on the Deere 661R enough power for cutting fescue at 3.5"-4"?
A stander isn’t going to scalp anymore than a sit down of the same size category
In fact they generally scalp or cause turf damage less.
20 hp is enough
23 is good
26 is pleasant

Mownmachine144

LawnSite Bronze Member
IMO I think you'd be better with a 60" or 61" ZTR. If your doing big yards with some inclines the ZTR would be good. I think standers are more so in the 36" - 48" 52" range. Just my 2 cents.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Can't speak to John Deere but have a 60" Vantage. You should be ok on power. Scalping shouldn't be too bad.

If these are the units made by Wright for JD you should be in good shape.

Hope you are able to find what you are looking for.

OP
Stanton Lawn Services

Stanton Lawn Services

LawnSite Member
Can't speak to John Deere but have a 60" Vantage. You should be ok on power. Scalping shouldn't be too bad.

If these are the units made by Wright for JD you should be in good shape.

Hope you are able to find what you are looking for.
Deere and Wright ended the manufacturing agreement a few years ago, but yeah I think most of the used units that I would look at to try before saving for a few years for a new one would be a Wright era Deere

OP
Stanton Lawn Services

Stanton Lawn Services

LawnSite Member
I like the Wright brand and they are actually my closest dealer, but they can be shady to work with no matter how big or small you are and the second nearest is on the other side of town for me and just too far. Plus my grandpa worked for Deere and has known my dealerships owner for decades so I'm able to work them well whenever I need parts or service.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
I like the Wright brand and they are actually my closest dealer, but they can be shady to work with no matter how big or small you are and the second nearest is on the other side of town for me and just too far. Plus my grandpa worked for Deere and has known my dealerships owner for decades so I'm able to work them well whenever I need parts or service.
661r on Ebay for $3500. Hours aren't too bad...about 1650. My Vantage has over 1700 with no major issues so far. Same engine too. $3500 is a good price if the machine is as advertised. The seller has a 100% rating.

OP
Stanton Lawn Services

Stanton Lawn Services

LawnSite Member
My dealer has one with 700 less hours on it for $2,950. Don't think I'll make a move soon with college starting up in a little under 3 weeks and I will only be able to keep up my weekly mowings so overall I'll be making less and I'll be at school 2 hours away

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
My dealer has one with 700 less hours on it for $2,950. Don't think I'll make a move soon with college starting up in a little under 3 weeks and I will only be able to keep up my weekly mowings so overall I'll be making less and I'll be at school 2 hours away
That is a great price!! Too bad it isn't April!

Hope you have a great year at school!!