61 bunton is backfiring

BODIDDLY

LawnSite Member
my 61 bunton rider backfires when i turn it off..only does it when its been running a while.anyone knows what could be causing this?:confused:

dishboy

LawnSite Fanatic
Is it idling fast when you shut it down, put a tach on it to see what your idle speed is when hot. Are all your connections on the kill switch tight and making full contact.
Since it is doing when it is hot I suspect it is more a RPM or fuel problem rather than a electrical. If it is "dieseling" combustion is continuing when the valve is open thus the backfire. It could be other things as well I'm sure. Is it backfireing through the carb or the muffler?

imograss

LawnSite Senior Member
Idle the mower down to it's lowest setting, let it idle this way for a minute or two and then shut it off. Mosy all mowers are this way due to the crazy emissions crap.
Tim

locutus

LawnSite Bronze Member
Damn Bo, 1961- thats an old azz mower. Maybe you're misinterpreting a death cough for a backfire.

OP
BODIDDLY

BODIDDLY

LawnSite Member
61 is not the year but the width of the mower..i slowed down the idle before i turned it off and that seems to work. the backfire comes through the muffler. thanks for the info

locutus

LawnSite Bronze Member
Originally posted by BODIDDLY
61 is not the year but the width of the mower..i slowed down the idle before i turned it off and that seems to work. the backfire comes through the muffler. thanks for the info

I was kidding.:D

Top Forums