1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

61" or 52" stander?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott's turf, Jun 24, 2002.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I am demoing a 52" stander this friday and plan to buy one if all goes expected. My question to you guys is there much difference between the 52" and 61"? I currently have 2 54 wb that I use on all my properties. I will keep one on the trailer and plane on using the 61" stander as the primary mower. The difference in cost is around $100 so I want to get the most machine I can for the price. If it is a little too big I can still use the 54" wb's I have. The 54" wb I have now are fixed decks and do fine for me. Will a 61" fix deck cause me many more problems. Opinions please. Is anyone running the 61" stander? Thanks.

2. scott's turf

from NH

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

3. luv of green

luv of green LawnSite Member

i just purchased a 52 ich stander with a 23 kaw , i have demoed the surfer 61 & 52 and the 61 stander the most efficient machine for me is the 52 i mow mostly residentials of all shapes and sizes these machines are really stable on hills as well the dealer had all 19hp machines but i researched the stander sight and they offer the 23 hp in the 52 also it was only like 150 dollars more for four more hp i am very pleased with my machine i have never striped this awesome , i will admit if u r worried about transport speed this is prolly ot the best machine but as for me i am on and off the trailer really close to start mowing mine runs 8 mph from factory and cuts awesome around 6 or 7 mph thatb is plenty fast for me there is a speed up kit available but the mower cuts well and plenty fast now hate to mess with a good thing my mower just turned 31 hrs good luck josh

4. What are you concerned about? buy the 61" you have the smaller mower already.

Only major problem I can see is discharging Springs excess growth.

But we run may 60" ZTR's and can double cut quickly if needed.

5. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I just bought the 52, with 23hp kawi,and am very happy so far.

6. scott's turf

from NH

Thanks for your help. I am still demoing the 52" on friday. I am not expecting the 61" to be all that much different of a cut but I did not know for sure. Does anyone run the 61" now? It doesn't seem all that popular.

7. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

dont forget that the 60" has blades that turn at 19000 fpm, while the 52" is somewhat lower, i think arround 17000.

Jason

8. sheppard

sheppard LawnSite Senior Member

I'm very happy with my 52" Stander. Some of the reasons why I purchased it were: same blade size as my 36" Snapper ( no confusion when changing blades); had my dealer tell me that 52" cuts better than larger deck, especially on manicured lawns. On some lawns, according to him, 60+" show a dip in the grass on turns with the deck. Not willing to debate this with any body- just what I repeatedly heard.

I'll think of other points as soon a s I finish this and send it into cyber-space.

Cordially,
    Sheppard