65,000 sq ft mulch job.

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by sedge, Jul 20, 2019.

1. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

Cedar mulch
    3" deep
    $22 a yard delivered via dump semi trailer
    Mulch would be dumped in back parking lot, then would have to be brought to flower beds
    Parking lot, some easy access, a fair amount not, as bigger areas away from curb
    Have to remove current mulch and dispose of it
    Friend of a friend that used to do this for bigger businesses said $2.50 per cubic ft for the mulch and same to spread it
    Note* If the job is over $50,000 then it has to go out for bid

They want a total, then broken down the 3 ways

Thanks

2. MNLawns

MNLawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from MN

Mulch blower will take 2 guys 6 10ish hour days. You need 600 cu yds of mulch, $22 per cu yd plus delivery & $20 per cu yd to spread

Would be $25,200
    Plus about $1200 for delivery assuming 50 yd dump truck 12 loads at $100 per load

3. CuttingEdgeLandscapes

CuttingEdgeLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

I’m assuming the $22/yard includes delivery in the price. Why do you have to remove the old mulch? That’s a killer to do. With blowing it you’ll be closer to 1.5” depth is that going to matter? Have to factor in a skid steer to load the blower with. $80/yard install and removal

4. MNLawns

Male, from MN

You can blow at whatever depth you want.

Cam15 likes this.
  5. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Silver Member

Do you own a mulch blower or just rent? Never used one before....

6. MNLawns

Male, from MN

Rental, they aren't cheap...

Cam15 likes this.
  7. zraffz

zraffz LawnSite Senior Member

That's insane to remove and dispose of 600 yards of old mulch and install 600 new yards for $25,200. Its $13,200 in mulch delivered and you can expect to pay half that for removal. You're already at $20,000 before you add labor or rental equipment.

8. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Silver Member

I don't think he took into account the fact that they want all the old removed.

sjessen and MNLawns like this.
  9. MNLawns

Male, from MN

That was not for removal. Installation only.

sjessen, zraffz and Cam15 like this.
  10. zraffz

zraffz LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't even bid on this job because I've never done anything this big. I did a mulch job at a local park, the mulch was delivered in the parking lot. The parking lot had a 5' tall fence that separated the playground and parking lot. It took 9 hours for 3 guys to remove 70 yards of mulch; granted we had to handle the material 2 times (mini pulling the mulch up, mini loading a front end loader bucket over the fence and then bucket loader loading the truck). Then we spent another 10 hours when we installed weed matt and used the bucket loader to dump 85 yards of mulch into the playground and spread the mulch.