652r Mod vs. 652r Prodeck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by K c m, Apr 18, 2019.

1. K c m

K c m LawnSite Bronze Member

Hello guys, First week mowing with a brand new 652r kawi prodeck. Traded in my kawi MOD in october. The mod had set the bar from what I was used to and was purchased in 2014. Awesome mower, great wet and dry. Took the Mod chute off since it was batting down clippings rather then dispersing them. In my opinion the mod is a waste of 800 dollars. So here in philly last year was extremely wet and fertilized lawns grew out of control. I noticed that where the blades met (gators) was leaving a line of stingers, also noticing a small trail of clippings on the trim size but one blade in. I chalked it up to maybe to many grinds on the blades and double cut. I also own a pro deck 652r kawi that i traded in a whp48a in for and is a back up and used for my lawn. Not a whole lot of cutting on it to notice a difference.
    As a solo operator I cut anywhere from 24-33 lawns a day, fired all my biweekly lawns and currently cut 123 lawns per week. 8000-15000 with a 2 acre lawn mixed in there. HOLY MOLLIE does this deck cut. It cuts like whose your daddy. I say this because I run two different styles of cutting. One is in super wet conditions (this past monday morning) Ill do circles and damp/dry ill stripe them. Now going into this week I had a feeling it was going to be difficult with the fertilized lawns (should have been out last week cutting) and judging from how the MOD cut. In the beginning of the season I cut at 2.5-3 with a majority being at 2 3/4's. I do this because it gives me a little breathing room. So monday I had 31 lawns set, one was my parents lawn but ill count it anyway. First 4 are pretty big lawns and then they get smaller as the day goes on. Immediately on Joe Boka's (got his name because he goes to boka raton florida) who is 86, and has nothing better to do but invest in lawn treatments. Well what normally would be a double cut was only a single. as the day continued thought I lost a step or rusty but intact i was about an hour ahead of schedule. A few guys on this site can attest to my text as the day unfolded. the only double cut I had to make was where those patches were like 16" high.Every lawn was single cut and looking sharp.

I remember ridingreen had problems with his mod. For me I only had metro walk behinds to gauge its quality. Now that Im running a pro deck there is absolute 0 comparison wet or dry with the MOD. There is a ton of moving parts on the mod. Those are movable baffles that's bolted to the front of deck. This allows the vacuum tt let air escape and the reason I was leaving stingers. The other problem with the mod is I run a 12' x 5'7 or 6'. Before taking the chute blocker off leaving it in th up position was super tight along side the spare on the left. That being said on hot days it would stop working because of all the stops. I guess the servo motor couldn't handle 25+ stops in the summer heat.
    Prodeck is next level $hit for me at least. Maybe what you guys praise about the real 7 iron. Don't know, don't care it cuts awesome.

Hope this sheds a little light on some differences and my experience.

Rob.

Ridin' Green, Doc8406 and JLSLLC like this.
  2. OP
    OP
    K c m

2 acre 8” ish single cut today

6D6DB47F-87A7-4A6C-B3AA-0956016F62F0.jpeg

B9349F96-E4B3-43B5-9275-A8AB1ADCC9BA.jpeg

3. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Yo bruh! Best wishes in 2019!

I love that area of PA!

Walker56 and Doc8406 like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    K c m

yo jake! back at ya man!

Doc8406 likes this.
  5. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

Interesting.. love the pics.. thanks for posting the info.. something to consider for sure!

6. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

That is interesting, because your MOD and mine are two completely different decks as far as size, design etc, yet the same results. Love that first picture.

K c m likes this.
  7. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

i have a 2013 652R with MOD deck, the flap still moves and stuff, but there is in my opinion too much getting pass it and i don't like the way that it leaves long whispy piles of grass strings. i wonder if a grass flap would fix that, just use it when coming up near something you don't want to spray with grass.. Plus also i have to stop to open or close the flap as it is right now..

The Swamp Fox and K c m like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    K c m

9. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

????

10. OP
    OP
    K c m

Yeah. I know what you’re talking about. I thought that was normal for that kinda wet grass, had nothing to weigh the cut against besides metro walk behinds and a beat up buy it dinner to work used z i bought. If you can doc trade it in.
    When they sold me on this option i thought, hmmm maybe it’ll help with leaf season. Not at all because doing leaves with chute down you can feel that funky vibration like you’re way overdoing it at the speed you’re in. Also with it down like you said it leaves that trail of clippings that drive me to insanity.

I hit the post by accident on my previous ine

Doc8406 likes this.