6x12 Trailer Comparison

tintkang

LawnSite Member
Hello, I have a 6x12 open utility trailer currently. It works pretty well, though I would like to get a bigger one. A 16' open or enclosed ideally.

Most people seem to run open it looks like. Any major benefit besides cost?

I have someone interested in trading their 6x12 enclosed for my 6x12 open. I'm thinking the enclosed will not be able to fit as much as my open, due to not being able to turn my walk behind around.....I have to turn it around on the trailer sideways, to fit the zero turn and walk behind on mine.

Am I correct, or should it still work? It seems like a nice enclosed. I'm thinking enclosed because I have to load and unload every day and it takes a while to get it done, and I think it would be faster and more efficient to leave the mowers in the locked enclosed trailer at my house. Any thoughts?

AMC32

LawnSite Bronze Member
I prefer open trailers because then you can still haul mulch, tree branches, etc. With it. If I wasn't doing that stuff too then I would have gone with an enclosed if I had the money and upgraded to a 3/4 ton truck. I'm not sure how big the weight difference will be for you, but a loaded enclosed would be more than I could haul with my truck.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
T

tintkang

LawnSite Member
That is true about the mulch hauling, although I don't do a lot of it. I have an 08 F250 long bed diesel so I could probably use the bed for the mulch for the few mulch jobs I do.

AMC32

LawnSite Bronze Member
Before I had my own trailer I used my truck bed for mulch. The only downfall was making more than one trip. But since you don't do much of it and have a truck that can definitely haul an enclosed trailer I would probably make the trade
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
T

tintkang

LawnSite Member
Cool. Glad i'm on the right track. Thanks AMC32.

Any tips for this? I've been strapping things down on trailers for years and never had an issue until recently, for some reason. All the roads around here suck and are super bumpy.....and sometimes my ratchet straps will come unhooked from the hook points. then my mowers slide all around and darn near fly off. I've even tried "over tightening" them, and still happens sometimes. I feel like an idiot but never had this happen til recently??? i've even tried new straps

AMC32

LawnSite Bronze Member
But definitely make sure all of your equipment fits in the trailer before you do the deal. As for the straps I've had that problem before. I just checked them periodically and tightened then if they needed it. Just a couple months ago figured out my straps will kind of break tension after so much force is applied. I bought 2 heavier duty straps for my new mower and so far I haven't had that problem with them. So buying heavier duty straps might be worth a shot.
Posted via Mobile Device

360lawncare

LawnSite Senior Member
Open are just so much more easier to use.. In my opinion. Easy to fill up equipment easier to pull and drive around.. Your equipment cools off between yards you would be surprised how hot a enclosed gets on hot days..
Posted via Mobile Device

whiffyspark

LawnSite Fanatic
Open are just so much more easier to use.. In my opinion. Easy to fill up equipment easier to pull and drive around.. Your equipment cools off between yards you would be surprised how hot a enclosed gets on hot days..
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree.

Also e track and fast straps for tie downs
Posted via Mobile Device

Ditta&Sons

LawnSite Bronze Member
If you dont have many specific jobs where an open trailer is useful (mulch, soil, leaf pickup) then the enclosed trailer is the right choice. You can get the trailer wrapped or painted with your logo, number and name. its a billboard.

Top Forums