7+ weeks for clover to die?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by roody2333, Jul 14, 2018.

1. roody2333

roody2333 LawnSite Senior Member

May 10th and May 21st I sprayed ortho clover killer (Triclopyr, triethylamine salt 8%)
    https://www.domyown.com/ortho-weed-...lis-killer-for-lawns-concentrate-p-15899.html
    on somewhat mature clover patches.

I haven't ever really noticed good results with their clover spray for clover or dollar weed/creeping Charlie/wild violet compared to the 'regular' ortho:
    https://www.domyown.com/ortho-weed-gon-weed-killer-for-lawns-concentrate-p-15902.html
    (2,4-D, dimethylamine salt 8.66%, Dicamba 0.37%, MCPP-P, DMA salt 2.13%) works great on dandelions.

today is 7-8 weeks since it was sprayed and finally looks like it's starting to die but definitely isn't fully crispy brown. but also neighbor had weeds sprayed by Scotts some weeks ago and their paper said weeds should be dead in up to 3 weeks but it's been maybe 5 weeks and weeds look the same.

Usually dandelions die from the 'regular' ortho in only about 8 days. And you know round up kills in less time, so does clover and most other weeds simply take longer to die?

I didn't mix the regular ortho with the clover for the clover-only spot. but I think it might be ok to as long as it's not over-applied. But I will look into a much better clover killer and creeping Charlie killer because as much as I don't like spraying chemicals, it's taking over the grass and everything.

2. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh LawnSite Member

I've used the chickweed, clover, and oaxalis killer before. It takes about a week to see a difference. You usually need a second app in 10 to 14 days.

3. Delmarva Keith

Delmarva Keith LawnSite Senior Member

Low rate triclopyr can take a while, but after three weeks a lot of what was sprayed should start disappearing. With no effect after that amount of time, it will need additional applications.

You can’t really compare to a 3 way on dandelions. Dandelions are about the easiest weed there is to kill.

4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Really depends on how long the clover has been around

I’ve never met a clover that did need more than one application

But the older the clover (multiple seasons)
    The more resilient it is

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Pendagast makes a good point. Best time to treat is in spring when the clover is growing rapidly and soil is moist. And at 8 percent active ingredients you need to use a lot more.

Try something with more triclopyr active ingredient.
    Like Turflon Ester.

https://www.domyown.com/hiyield-triclopyr-ester-p-4543.html

Be sure to use it at maximum allowed concentration. Small hand sprayers put out about a quart per thousand sqft. Mix the recommended amount in a quart of water.

Be sure to add a good squirt of detergent or surfactant--clover is hard to wet--the spray droplets my just slide off the downward-slanted leaves.

Notice the bottle says 16 ounces treats up to 3200 sqft. That is 5 ounces per thousand sqft.

6. roody2333

thanks I guess I will try something better than the ortho but wait till next spring of course since I already did the max 2 allowed apps on these patches and it's mid summer don't want to harm the turf.

7. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

The maximum applications per year is for 2,4-D. Turflon ester does not have that limitation.

"Reapply HI-YIELD® Turflon® Ester Ultra at 4-week intervals."

I did not notice any temperature restrictions.
    Label says something like,"Apply in warm weather, spring, summer or fall."

I hope the clover is gone in a few weeks. Good luck, Roody!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    Delmarva Keith likes this.
  8. roody2333

thank you my riggle. I'll order that Hi-Yield Triclopyr Ester. I take it it will work on creeping Charlie too

9. roody2333

^ yes it does work great on creeping Charlie as per the reviews.
    also the brownness of the previously ortho'd clover might not be half-killed clover because in the back where I don't spray anything it looks the same, half brown with browned flowers - it's probably just the ortho does nothing at all and it's brown only cause the heat. I have used the ortho on even those clover starters you see where the clover plant is just starting and it does nothing at all.

10. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Use a surfactant when applying to clover too... every little bit helps

I can’t for the life of me remember which adjuvants work together well for clover

I’ll post when I remember what the cocktail is

Delmarva Keith likes this.