1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

708cc predator engine question???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rjtlawncare, Nov 20, 2017.

1. rjtlawncare

rjtlawncare LawnSite Member

I have a 2002 exmark lazer hp with a 20 kohler command engine. Wanting to repower the unit with a 708cc predator engine. Have a few questions??
    1. The shaft looks to be a little short. Through may research its short by 10mm. I think there's a washer used with the pto shaft that can me shaved or not even used that can make up for the 10mm difference??
    2. Talking to a couple of people they say that the charging system on these predator engines will not run the pto, and will drain the battery. Can't find the charging system for these engines, but what I found on the net is that they only have like 2 amps. Is this enough to run the pto?? Is there a way to take the stator(charging system off the kohler flywheel included) and put it on the predator so the amps increase?? Is there a way to increase the amp output of these predator engines???

Any input would be awesome, just trying to get this mower going again...

2. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

Im pretty sure 2amps isn't enough. Im also sure you can't change it over to the Kohler charging system. Also if the washer on the shaft is between the engine and pulleys you won't be able to remove it. The belts won't be aligned if you do. Or the pulley may even hit the bottom of the engine mounting plate.

3. rjtlawncare

RDALawns thanks for the quick response. Do you know anything about these predator engines?? Is there a way to increase the amps, or is there an engine that I can rob parts from to increase the amp output?? Basically is there a clone engine, some people say these are Honda Engines and some say they are Kawasaki's, that I can take it's charging system and install it on the predator??? Just asking because I've seen people take the charging system from the Honda 6.5hp and put it in the predator 6.5hp to run lights on a dun buggy.

4. RDALawns

Male, from Texas

Im not sure. I think they are more Honda's than Kawasaki. Others will hopefully chime in with more experience with this than me.

5. rjtlawncare

The shaft size on the kohler command 20hp is 1" x 3 9/16. Per the 22hp predator manual the shaft length is 80.5mm. If my math is right that's 90.5mm for the kohler and 80.5mm for the predator.

Question:: Is there a way to lengthen the shaft by 10mm, or not use the washers that are used on the shaft??

6. RDALawns

Male, from Texas

I don't know. Like I said maybe someone else can help you.

7. rjtlawncare

Can I just not use the number #21 or both of the #24 washers to make up for the 10mm difference???

Or will the predator engine work just being 10mm short, because you can use a longer bolt(#25 on the diagram) on the crankshaft????

exmark lazer hp.gif

8. RDALawns

Male, from Texas

21 must be used since it's between the pulley and bottom of motor. The other washer can possibly be replaced with a thinner washer. Also I'd suspect the bolt would be long enough without buying another 1.

9. Jmcculler

Jmcculler LawnSite Member

What's wrong with the Kohler that $700 can't fix? My experience with rigging things up is that it will cost you more in the long run. If not a new engine maybe find one that actually fits the mower that's in good shape. Harbor freight is good for cheap hand tools but I don't think I would bet on one of their engines holding up very long in a commercial setting. One of those "you get what you pay for" deals.

Breezmeister, RDALawns and BigFish like this.
  10. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

You will more than likely need a washer 'tween the pulley and crank shoulder. May be able to use a thinner one, belt align. shouldn't be a problem.
    The real problem could be the amount of shaft in the clutch. The clutch rotor is keyed to the crank, so ya gotta check that ya got enough engagement.