72" mowers stripe uneven???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by bkennett, Jul 15, 2017.

1. bkennett

bkennett LawnSite Member
    Male, from Rocky Mount, VA

ive put 100 hrs on my new Deere 970R with 72" deck. Ive ran into the issue where my stripes alternate between the green stripe being narrow and the white stripe being a full 72". Im not overlapping my stripes more than say 3-4" Could it be the amount of deck sticking out past the tires causing these irregular stripes to not show full width on the green stripe? Will a striping kit or roller fix this?

2. Reedo

Reedo LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from S.E. Minnesota

Experience will be the only thing that will fix that problem from the sounds of it. Make sure you use the full deck width while mowing and you shouldn't have that problem.

GrassManKzoo likes this.
  3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

It has nothing to do with the deck, and little if anything to do with overlap, though 3-4" is almost too much.
    Stripes will always change the way they look regarding being wider or narrow from one direction than the other. If you walk down a narrow stripe to the other end and look back, unless the lighting is bad, you will find that the narrow stripe now looks wide from that end and the wide stripe before now looks narrow.

4. Reedo

Reedo LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from S.E. Minnesota

Pictures would help show us best what you are describing.

DXN1EL and hort101 like this.
  5. nch209

nch209 LawnSite Member

Old post, but RG has nailed the point. My pops ferris 61 does this, and still its hard to understand why the optical illusion happens. Probably a simple explanation, but I dont know what it is. It serves as a good conversation point (and riddle) for guests! LOL!

6. StanWilhite

StanWilhite LawnSite Silver Member

You make me feel sloppy! 3/4" is too much overlap? Man, at 7 or 8 mph if I can stay within 2-3" on (average turf) I'm doin' good!

7. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

That is 3-4", not 3/4".

8. StanWilhite

I've been in the egg nog! :)

9. StanWilhite

And what some fine "nogs" they are! :)

Ridin' Green likes this.
  10. Ridin' Green