Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
10,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've now operated my new 72" Scag TT II enough to give a more complete comparison between the Scag and my 72" Hustler HyperDrive.

1) The Hustler HD is by far the best operating mower due to its extremely smooth
smooth hydraulic system and its integrated brake system, no comparison between the two machines.

2) The Hustler HD gives a better ride due to its longer wheelbase, Flex Forks, and its specialized Grammer seat with fore/aft controlled suspension.

3) The Hustler HD is by far more productive in my large open area cutting scenario due to the Scag being a 12 mph machine versus the Hustler HD being a 16 mph machine. Example: I moved approximately 3 acres of leaves off of grassed areas into the woods, meaning the leaves needed to be blown from the discharge side in one direction. The Hustler HD is so fast, I was amazed at the speed I could drive 350', turn around, and repeat the leaf moving process. I was thinking about how much longer this would have taken me if using the Scag.

4) I have heard for years how great the cut is with a Scag Velocity Plus deck. I can tell you from side by side comparison in SOUTHERN stiff blade grasses and weeds, no one would see any difference between the cut of my 72" Scag Velocity Plus deck and that of my 72" Hustler VX4 deck. I must make mention, there are 143 hrs on the LaserEdge blades under the Hustler deck, and they are still cutting cleanly, if not I would remove them immediately.

5) The Vanguard 40 hp EFI/ETC engine on the Scag is a flawless performer, and the fuel usage is unbelievably good at 1.45 gph. The Kawasaki 35 hp carbed engine on the Hustler HD uses on average around 1.9 gph, let's see how this equates in the amount of grass cut. I can easily average cutting 20% more grass with the Hustler than the slower Scag in my open cutting situation. 1.9 gph x 20% = .38 gph, 1.9 gph - .38 gals = 1.52 gph. As can be seen from this calculation, speed is a game changer when it can be utilized. What this shows is there is very little difference in gas usage for the amount of grass cut between the Scag utilizing the Vanguard 40 hp EFI/ETC engine, and the faster Hustler HyperDrive using a Kawasaki 35 hp carburetor style engine. I fully understand most people cannot cut grass at the faster speeds I use, and the Scag is good for probably 40% of my cutting, but it's the other 60% that the Hustler HyperDrive shows its advantage.

6) Maintenance will be far easier on the Hustler HyperDrive than on the Scag TT due to all maintenance points being readily accessible on the Hustler versus the Scag. Scag for some unknown reason made changing oil and greasing far more difficult than should be required.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Now that you’ve operated the Scag enough to make a fair comparison do you plan to keep the Scag?

Knowing how much you prefer the Hustler over the Scag, how can you continue to even get on the Scag while the Hustler sits idle?

Do you find the Scag to be better or worse than your preconceived ideas about it before purchasing?

Based on what you now know would you ever buy another Scag?

·
Registered
10,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that you’ve operated the Scag enough to make a fair comparison do you plan to keep the Scag?

Knowing how much you prefer the Hustler over the Scag, how can you continue to even get on the Scag while the Hustler sits idle?

Do you find the Scag to be better or worse than your preconceived ideas about it before purchasing?

Based on what you now know would you ever buy another Scag?
I've always kept two mowers, and the reason I bought the Scag was to have that second mower. I was totally amazed at how fast I the mower was built new and delivered. I would trade tomorrow if I could get the new Hustler HD I've had ordered since the first of this year.

Trying a new Scag TT also has given me a chance to compare. I can always put my wife on the Scag if I keep the mower. Don't get me wrong, the Scag TT II is an excellent mower, there are just things I prefer about the faster Hustler.

Mowing 15 acres of grass for 40 yrs get old, that is why I like having 2 mowers to cut down on mowing time, and my wife loves to mow.

·
Registered
10,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So you’re saying on 60% of your lawns, mowing at speeds in excess of 12mph is actually possible and still leaves a good quality of cut?
I mow 15 acres on my farm and have for 40 years, and yes, I can cut at top speed and leave no grass or weeds uncut, looks like a table-top. I've had many people believe this to be impossible until they came to my farm and proved it to themselves.

TOMBERLAWN is a commercial cutter, find what he had to say below after cutting grass at very fast speeds.

TOMBERLAWN QUOTE:

"The Hustler Super Z is amazing. I didn't really think you could mow grass at 15 mph and be comfortable and get a clean cut. The Hustler does it. It's more comfortable to operate than my Ferris. The Flex Forks and Flex suspension seat combined with SmoothTrak steering makes for a very enjoyable machine. I couldn't believe how it felt like the mower just floated over the ground. I asked if the mower handled that well from day one or if it had loosened up some in 350 hrs of operation, and he said it had always been that easy to handle.

The cut quality is excellent. I'm not sure what type of grass we were cutting, but it was in decent shape. It wasn't manicured, but it wasn't a weedy field. I would expect a few straggling weeds, especially cutting at 15 mph, but there were none."

·
Registered
10,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I cut with the Hustler HyperDrive again this afternoon and once again it was proven, the older model Hustler HyperDrive is far advanced in every way when comparing with the new Scag TT II recently purchased. I will say it is not reasonably close by comparison.

I am ready to sell or trade the Scag TT once I can get my hands on another 72" Hustler HyperDrive with a Vanguard 40 hp EFI/ETC engine with the Oil Guard system. I personally do not care to operate the Scag TT II after experiencing the difference, and that is the exact reason I chose the Hustler HyperDrive over the Scag this afternoon, with both sitting 2 steps away from the other and I could have gotten into the seat of either.

·
Registered
10,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My understanding is Hustler no longer uses the Grammer MGS65 seat with fore/aft isolation? I can't imagine using a ztr without that function after using it on my jd 994.
You can special order that specific seat on the Hyperdrive, but I personally already have a new one in storage to be installed.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I cut with the Hustler HyperDrive again this afternoon and once again it was proven, the older model Hustler HyperDrive is far advanced in every way when comparing with the new Scag TT II recently purchased. I will say it is not reasonably close by comparison.

I am ready to sell or trade the Scag TT once I can get my hands on another 72" Hustler HyperDrive with a Vanguard 40 hp EFI/ETC engine with the Oil Guard system. I personally do not care to operate the Scag TT II after experiencing the difference, and that is the exact reason I chose the Hustler HyperDrive over the Scag this afternoon, with both sitting 2 steps away from the other and I could have gotten into the seat of either.
Ok that’s enough.. send me your TT2!! 😂

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
. I must make mention, there are 143 hrs on the LaserEdge blades under the Hustler deck, and they are still cutting cleanly, if not I would remove them immediately.
I too use lazer edge on my 72" Gravely, fantastic results. Sad part is, I hit a tie spike on a playground holding the play area borders spiked together. Did some damage on blade and sheared off the 5/8" blade bolt. But I have nearly 500 hrs on the eversharp blades. So money well spent.
But onto your 72" Hustler.
We mow aprox 120 acres weekly
On Gravely's. One 72" proturn,
And two 52" proturns.
We mow a lot of municipal parks, and large commercial properties.
So speed is the main goal. Quality is important, but it is far more important to get it cut weekly.
And looking decent.
We have no Hustler dealer anywhere near me.
What kind of price is a 72" hyperdrive?
Fyi these are very lumpy and grueling properties.
I need max production.

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
Can you switch one of the 52s for another 72 or do you need the narrower deck for those?
Yes we could go with 2 - 72" mowers and 1 - 52" mower.
We also mow 3 cemeteries so absolutely need need the 52" also.
But I'm looking for a solid tank abusing mower. That's why I run the Gravely's. Absolutely most stout solid mower built. Literally can not destroy them. But I need more production per hr. And still withstand punishment.

·
Registered
11,443 Posts
I've now operated my new 72" Scag TT II enough to give a more complete comparison between the Scag and my 72" Hustler HyperDrive.

1) The Hustler HD is by far the best operating mower due to its extremely smooth
smooth hydraulic system and its integrated brake system, no comparison between the two machines.

2) The Hustler HD gives a better ride due to its longer wheelbase, Flex Forks, and its specialized Grammer seat with fore/aft controlled suspension.

3) The Hustler HD is by far more productive in my large open area cutting scenario due to the Scag being a 12 mph machine versus the Hustler HD being a 16 mph machine. Example: I moved approximately 3 acres of leaves off of grassed areas into the woods, meaning the leaves needed to be blown from the discharge side in one direction. The Hustler HD is so fast, I was amazed at the speed I could drive 350', turn around, and repeat the leaf moving process. I was thinking about how much longer this would have taken me if using the Scag.

4) I have heard for years how great the cut is with a Scag Velocity Plus deck. I can tell you from side by side comparison in SOUTHERN stiff blade grasses and weeds, no one would see any difference between the cut of my 72" Scag Velocity Plus deck and that of my 72" Hustler VX4 deck. I must make mention, there are 143 hrs on the LaserEdge blades under the Hustler deck, and they are still cutting cleanly, if not I would remove them immediately.

5) The Vanguard 40 hp EFI/ETC engine on the Scag is a flawless performer, and the fuel usage is unbelievably good at 1.45 gph. The Kawasaki 35 hp carbed engine on the Hustler HD uses on average around 1.9 gph, let's see how this equates in the amount of grass cut. I can easily average cutting 20% more grass with the Hustler than the slower Scag in my open cutting situation. 1.9 gph x 20% = .38 gph, 1.9 gph - .38 gals = 1.52 gph. As can be seen from this calculation, speed is a game changer when it can be utilized. What this shows is there is very little difference in gas usage for the amount of grass cut between the Scag utilizing the Vanguard 40 hp EFI/ETC engine, and the faster Hustler HyperDrive using a Kawasaki 35 hp carburetor style engine. I fully understand most people cannot cut grass at the faster speeds I use, and the Scag is good for probably 40% of my cutting, but it's the other 60% that the Hustler HyperDrive shows its advantage.

6) Maintenance will be far easier on the Hustler HyperDrive than on the Scag TT due to all maintenance points being readily accessible on the Hustler versus the Scag. Scag for some unknown reason made changing oil and greasing far more difficult than should be required.
Side note (not to hijack) but I'm glad I'm not the only one annoyed at the oil change catastrophe that is the TT. Just did it and still despise it.

Reactions: puppypaws

·
Registered
840 Posts
@puppypaws Can you comment on how the VX4 and Velocity+ decks compare? Also for reference, what kind of grass you're cutting, and at what height you mow please.

I was talking to a cousin recently, and learned that he has a 60" Hyperdrive, while his business partner had a 61” Turf Tiger 2. He mentioned that the Scag had a visually nice cut quality, but not enough for customers to notice & complain. We are in Kentucky, and I'm assuming they were cutting mostly fescue & other cool season grasses.

·
Registered
10,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
@puppypaws Can you comment on how the VX4 and Velocity+ decks compare? Also for reference, what kind of grass you're cutting, and at what height you mow please.

I was talking to a cousin recently, and learned that he has a 60" Hyperdrive, while his business partner had a 61” Turf Tiger 2. He mentioned that the Scag had a visually nice cut quality, but not enough for customers to notice & complain. We are in Kentucky, and I'm assuming they were cutting mostly fescue & other cool season grasses.
Both the Hustler VX4 deck along with the Scag Velocity Plus deck gives an equal cut appearance. There is a great deal of difference when cutting with the Scag 12 mph machine and cutting with a HyperDrive, which is a 16 mph machine. I cannot prove this but know from experience my 72" VX4 deck cuts extremely well in my cutting conditions, whereas I've heard complaints concerning the 60" VX4 decks, some comments on clumping in limp blade grasses with higher than normal moisture content.

I cut wide, stiff blade fescue, some Kentucky bluegrass, and a dukes' mixture of weeds and wild grasses at 3". The bluegrass in shaded areas is a limp blade grass that is cut very cleanly with no issues by either deck.

With that being said, you can take at least 1/2 to 1 mph off each mower's actual cutting speed due to deck drag and power pulled by whatever the blades are cutting. This time of year in the south with our dry conditions, cutting is much less demanding, and you can probably get closer to 1/2 mph less ground speed when cutting.

My Hustler HyperDrive on flat ground with blades disengaged has a ground speed of exactly 16.2 mph, and the Scag TT II is at 12.14 mph. I was cutting with the HyperDrive yesterday at what I feel assured was 15.75 mph in long straight runs with excellent results, and the LaserEdge blades by Fisher Barton have 145+ hrs and still cutting well.

"MowDaddy" asked the price of a 72" Hustler HyperDrive, the list is around 20k, but it can be bought cheaper depending on the dealer. You need to compare the Gravely 72" to the 72" Hustler HyperDrive, I think you will be surprised, and I've had a new Gravely 72" that I demoed for a week and my Hustler would eat it alive on productivity.

·
Registered
9,072 Posts
Both the Hustler VX4 deck along with the Scag Velocity Plus deck gives an equal cut appearance. There is a great deal of difference when cutting with the Scag 12 mph machine and cutting with a HyperDrive, which is a 16 mph machine. I cannot prove this but know from experience my 72" VX4 deck cuts extremely well in my cutting conditions, whereas I've heard complaints concerning the 60" VX4 decks, some comments on clumping in limp blade grasses with higher than normal moisture content.

I cut wide, stiff blade fescue, some Kentucky bluegrass, and a dukes' mixture of weeds and wild grasses at 3". The bluegrass in shaded areas is a limp blade grass that is cut very cleanly with no issues by either deck.

With that being said, you can take at least 1/2 to 1 mph off each mower's actual cutting speed due to deck drag and power pulled by whatever the blades are cutting. This time of year in the south with our dry conditions, cutting is much less demanding, and you can probably get closer to 1/2 mph less ground speed when cutting.

My Hustler HyperDrive on flat ground with blades disengaged has a ground speed of exactly 16.2 mph, and the Scag TT II is at 12.14 mph. I was cutting with the HyperDrive yesterday at what I feel assured was 15.75 mph in long straight runs with excellent results, and the LaserEdge blades by Fisher Barton have 145+ hrs and still cutting well.

"MowDaddy" asked the price of a 72" Hustler HyperDrive, the list is around 20k, but it can be bought cheaper depending on the dealer. You need to compare the Gravely 72" to the 72" Hustler HyperDrive, I think you will be surprised, and I've had a new Gravely 72" that I demoed for a week and my Hustler would eat it alive on productivity.
Good to know. Thanks.

·
Registered
9,072 Posts

Just got off the phone with Bobcat of Duluth. Closest dealer. About an hr away. They had no 72" hyperdrive in stock, but if I order before end of yr. $17,300.
With the Kawasaki 1000, 35.5 hp.
Now I got some pondering to do.
🤔🤔🤔

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Just got off the phone with Bobcat of Duluth. Closest dealer. About an hr away. They had no 72" hyperdrive in stock, but if I order before end of yr. $17,300.
With the Kawasaki 1000, 35.5 hp.
Now I got some pondering to do.
🤔🤔🤔
I'd personally would much prefer the Vanguard 40 EFI/ETC with Oil Guard System regardless of price difference.

If you remember, Puppypaws demoed the Wright ZXT 72” with the Vanguard 40 EFI/ETC and cut severely overgrown fescue with no problem. He said the 40 hp. never balked or changed sounds even when he deliberately tried to overload it.

My 72” Hyperdrive is equipped with the Vanguard 37 EFI, the 40 was not available in 2018 or I'd have purchased it.

Just my 2 cents worth.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts