Lawn Care Forum banner

72 Toro Zmaster too wide for 6 x 12 trailer

14K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  birddseedd 
#1 ·
Got a little problem...My 72 in Zmaster is 74 inches wide and won't fit on my 6 x. 12 trailer...
Widening the trailer is not an option....Has anyone ever cut and hinged the discharge side of the deck.???
I have an ODC assy off a DixieChopper and am thinking about cutting 5 inches off the discharge end ..and welding it to the ODC ...so I can flip it up to go on and off the trailer..
Other than adding some supports it looks like a simple fix...
Any ideas.?????

#3 ·
I've never heard of that what you are speaking of being done.
There was a guy a long while back, 10 yrs or so ago, added a aux mower deck to the deck of the mower he was using and was trying to promote the idea...hmmm.
However, if there is anyone here that would be more capable of doing such an operation on a mower deck than you, fish or resto, based on reading your informational posts, I'd be surprised.

The flow control baffles are a consideration. You'd want a smooth transition to discharge clippings. High lift blades take the clippings up, the flow control baffles help to mulch and transition the clippings out to discharge, at least thats what I think.
I'd think you'd have problems where the deck, hinge and the cut piece wouldn't flow the air properly as it wouldn't seal.

Interesting....

#4 ·
No joke Captken..
It has a mulching kit which is coming off anyway...I just mow my own yard with it..bout an acre or two..
Sometimes I let my brother mow his 5 acres with it...it fits fine on his trailer...
It should be a nice afternoon modification..try to remember to take a few pics..

#5 ·
Any ideas.?????
I gotz one !!!

Cut a extra inch off 6" instead of 5", Weld a piece of say 2" flat bar on the inside of the deck..... 1" inside and 1" hanging out past your cut;

Doing this will seal the cut line for a smooth transition and reduce any clippings from getting stuck in the cut gap, Would also help reduce sand blasting the edge of the raise up piece.....

#6 ·
Let me know how that works I have the same problem with my 72 real pita only haul it about 2-3 a month rest of the month I run a 36 so I don't wanna buy a new trailer.

#9 ·
It would be cheapter then modifying a mower to fit
Depends on who's do'n it, I know Slapper has the tools/equipment and likely the material laying around..... I do things of sort (welding/fabrication) for the challenge and having no out of pocket makes it even better.....

#10 ·
Buy a wider trailer. Sell what you have buy a wider trailer, be out a couple of hours and maybe couple hundred dollars. Or spend hours trying to do something that might not work. I only have a few hours a day, so to me it is more profitable to fix problems quickly.

#11 ·
Depends on who's do'n it, I know Slapper has the tools/equipment and likely the material laying around..... I do things of sort (welding/fabrication) for the challenge and having no out of pocket makes it even better.....
Yeah...prolly wont cost me a dime..
I have a little steel laying around...and 7 in. cutoff wheels are amazing...
I wont make the first cut until I'm positive that it will work...:nono:

Now..If sumbuddy wants to trade a 60" Dixie Chopper or Exmark Lazer Z...
I might could postpone the project..???:weightlifter:

#13 ·
Does ODC=Operator Discharge Chute? I don't have much time on Dixie stuff--don't know why you couldn't make it work.

On the other hand, depending on your brothers good nature, it looks like a good opportunity to swap trailers with him.:clapping:
Yep...Operators Discharge Chute..
Nope...I like my trailer more than any mower...
6X12 single axle with drive on gate ...mesh sides..trimmer rack...its all good....

#14 ·
I have seen 12 foot bush hogs with this concept, all 3 gear boxes were on a fixed deck but the "wings" folded up for transport, you just had to make sure the blades didn't swing out and hit something.
Make the top cut just outboard of the right spindle but don't cut the skirts. Then build a heavy duty piano hinge out of small pipe and steel rod. Weld alternating sections of the pipe to the deck and wing. With the hinge in place, cut the skirts/ baffles and youre done.

#17 ·
Let's see a pic of your trailer.

Oldtimer
Cmon....Oldtimer....this ain't gonna be a tough job...
A little flatbar for supports at the seams...overlapping the upper and lower edges...
I needed to fix the outer lip of the deck anyway....
Its a Piece Of Cake....I might even paint it...

#19 ·
Go down 1 deck size. You know which brand will work.
Posted via Mobile Device
I hear you....I just don't have a 60" Lazer deck layin around...
Besides...that might actually involve spending some money...
Its a 2001 model...so modifying the deck ain't gonna hurt the MSRP...:laugh:

#20 ·
#21 ·
Another way I could do it...
Shorten the discharge chute 3 inches..
Cut a hole in the deck and move the spindle over...using a 20 1/2 " blade on the discharge side...
Adjust the rear baffle....
Sounds like too much math....

#22 ·
OK guys...The rest of the story....

I had to do a little fab work on the deck anyway...
Sitting doesnt do them any good....especially when the deck is covered with leaves and grass..
It did make the mower alot cheaper..though...:laugh:

Wood Tool Line Bumper Tape measure

Hood Automotive tire Road surface Automotive lighting Asphalt

#24 ·
How do you like my pull rope...it got me thru last year...
Somebody beat this mower like a rented mule...and it liked it...
The idler aint holdin on by much...I'm not much on workin on mowers at my house...
A few pieces of steel...maybe sum paint...good to go...

#26 ·
Not a problem Joe..... He's got a chain link fence around his house to catch all the fly'n debris ! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.