• Landscape Lighting Design: Bright Ideas
    With outdoor spaces more popular than ever, lighting these landscapes may be your next opportunity. Click here to learn more.

$75 for aeration and seeding? What gives?

Alabama17

LawnSite Member
A pretty large established lawn company got someone to post on our neighborhood facebook advertising aeration and seeding for $75! And our lots are around 5000 square feet. How are you supposed to compete with prices like those?

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
Yeah they must be skimping on the seed. Or the old bait & switch, it costs $75 to aerate and put “some” seed down. Add $25 per 10lb seed or whatever. $75 to aerate is the entry price around here, although I did get a buddy to aerate for my parents yard for $70 and they live on half an acre. He owed me a favor, and has a ride on though

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Aeration could be a pull-behind, or even a spiker. Quick and easy. At that price they have to be finished in about a half-hour. So cheap.
Seed is probably a low-cost rye mixture. At 2 dollars a pound and 3 pounds per thousand that is $30 just in seed cost, for a 5000 sqft lawn. Salesman maybe will try to get them to upgrade.

Last edited:

jetson

LawnSite Senior Member
Yeah they must be skimping on the seed. Or the old bait & switch, it costs $75 to aerate and put “some” seed down. Add $25 per 10lb seed or whatever. $75 to aerate is the entry price around here, although I did get a buddy to aerate for my parents yard for $70 and they live on half an acre. He owed me a favor, and has a ride on though
I have about 5000 foot of turf. Even tho I offer this service. My large commercial fertilization company which sprays my yard cause I don’t want to do it quoted me about the same price. For a company with the equipment there isn’t any lost revenue.. what are they really losing ? Some gas? They probably have gazillion lbs of seed. And at a rate of 3/4 per 1000 ur looking at 15lbs seed. Maybe cost them 20 dollars. It all comes down to them already having the riding equipment. Think about it yourself. Aeration doesn’t take long. Even manually. So if they can add 200 jobs at 14k as well as open the door for other services they aren’t losing anything. It’s all about time efficient and profitability.. easy money. Even paying someone hourly to do it.

prezek

LawnSite Senior Member
I have about 5000 foot of turf. Even tho I offer this service. My large commercial fertilization company which sprays my yard cause I don’t want to do it quoted me about the same price. For a company with the equipment there isn’t any lost revenue.. what are they really losing ? Some gas? They probably have gazillion lbs of seed. And at a rate of 3/4 per 1000 ur looking at 15lbs seed. Maybe cost them 20 dollars. It all comes down to them already having the riding equipment. Think about it yourself. Aeration doesn’t take long. Even manually. So if they can add 200 jobs at 14k as well as open the door for other services they aren’t losing anything. It’s all about time efficient and profitability.. easy money. Even paying someone hourly to do it.
Already have the equipment? Sure. And the replacement cost on a 12k machine? $6-7 per hour...fuel. Employee. Repairs and maintenance...not to mention recouping any other overhead.

jetson

LawnSite Senior Member
Already have the equipment? Sure. And the replacement cost on a 12k machine? $6-7 per hour...fuel. Employee. Repairs and maintenance...not to mention recouping any other overhead.
I’m saying they already have the equipment.. so there isn’t any cost for them besides fuel and labor. So if they can get additional yards they aren’t losing money. Along with the potential to get additional services. It’s like when the neighbor ask u to cut their grass grass. Ur there already. Make 40 dollars in 20 minutes.. not a lot lost. They have the equipment already so they aren’t losing out on a “rental fee”. That’s all. It’s all profit for them. Z which is why they offer it.. it’s a money grab.. it sucks they can offer it unless I have the equipment already...

rclawn

LawnSite Silver Member
When I did aeration, I had an Exmark 30” stand on. My base was $75 and I advertised such. Seed @ $3.25/lb (cost $1.69 plus tax for me). Where the real money was, at least around here was Verticutting. I rented a machine but my minimum was $200 including the cleanup. I had a guy that would rake and haul a tarp around. when it got heavy he’d use a wright stander to haul it to the trailer. We would be in/ out in 30 mins, so I was hitting at least $100/ man hour before any seed profit which was close to 2:1.

andersman02

LawnSite Senior Member
I’m saying they already have the equipment.. so there isn’t any cost for them besides fuel and labor. So if they can get additional yards they aren’t losing money. Along with the potential to get additional services. It’s like when the neighbor ask u to cut their grass grass. Ur there already. Make 40 dollars in 20 minutes.. not a lot lost. They have the equipment already so they aren’t losing out on a “rental fee”. That’s all. It’s all profit for them. Z which is why they offer it.. it’s a money grab.. it sucks they can offer it unless I have the equipment already...
Definitely not the right way any company should think IMO. you need to be charging for the machine, even if you own it. Same goes for over head, just because you don't have a shop or own it, doest mean you shouldn't charge for it.

Back on topic, I think our minimum is $125, up to 3.5k. We spread seed at 5lbs/k, decent quality cool season mix, 60%kbg, 10% PRG,30% fine fescue.

I was taking to another company, gave him our prices and they were probably 50% more. He uses contractor mix with a bunch of annual rye, costs 1/2 of what our stuff costs...

Let customers take the deal, but explain why you are more expensive, absolutely no way they can do or apply at those prices, while making a profit

walkinonwater27

LawnSite Senior Member
It sounds like they are working for peanuts, 25$ dollars worth of seed for me minimum. More like$40 plus overhead would leave me with 20-15 dollars worth of profit if I do it myself. They are breaking even and fishing for new customers. I won’t even pull the handcan off the truck for 20 dollars let alone an aerator and a spreader. If it drums up business so be it but they could charge more and still drum up business. Do you really want to target cheap ppl who jump companies to save a few bucks on 1 service? Not me.