76 acre dam mowing. Gov job. Need some inputs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sedge, Apr 24, 2019.

1. sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

Howdy. Have this bid I'm trying to help a friend with. Any and all inputs would be most welcome. Thanks ahead of time

76 acres mowing total
    March through Sept
    21 acres which is pretty darn steep, as it's the backside of a dam and fairly flush growth
    A wide stanced tractor and a 12'-15' bat will work, but just
    55 acres mostly flat and not that great of growth
    All needs to be kept 6-12"
    Gets hot and pretty dry last half of July and Aug

2. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

My answer is run. They will take lowest bid most likely, and that's just not a competition I would want to be in. I honestly can't wrap my head around it without seeing it or at least some pics. But that will take a long time. I would charge more than average as its not a year round money maker. I mean I am just throwing out something here, but something like $3800-4000 per cut without knowing more. If it doesn't have to be a perfect cut with a finish mower and doesn't require any double cutting, I might could shave some off that price.
    I remember one huge job I bid on that was actually all the grass at an airport. I forgot how many acres it was, like 20 something acres of grass and I was going to tell him somewhere in the range of $900-950 per cut. But he told me the guy cutting it was charging $300 :dizzy: but he wasn't showing up...I told him I see why :dancing: I never told him a price. I just said I couldn't even come close.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Hi Sedge. Hope you've been doing well. :waving: The 21 acre bank scares me. Sorry I can't help the bid process.

Mark Oomkes, Doc8406 and Cam15 like this.
  4. CuttingEdgeLandscapes

CuttingEdgeLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Around here the companies that do that kind of mowing would charge $18-25/acre for the flat stuff. Double those prices for the slopes

AlohaMowing likes this.
  5. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's cheap. I know being a large area, I would go less than individual yards, but I am cutting half acre lots at $50-55 per cut, I can't slash an acre down to $25 or less. That could just be me. That is probably the kind of prices that will have to be given to get the job, but I wouldn't mow that low per acre.

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

with tractors and bush hogs/batwings $2000 per cut roughly.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    K c m likes this.
  7. K c m

K c m LawnSite Bronze Member

that note on the batwing is 800-900/month 0 down 60-70k. you're looking at making a grand - fuel and your employees. I never bid that kind of thing but i would think somewhere in the 3000 and a touch a cut would be worth it.

8. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

well i'm guessing he already has the equipment paid for or he wouldn't even accept this job. if not then pass on it or charge $5000 a cut.

bluetruck and K c m like this.
  9. Mowing monkey.

Mowing monkey. LawnSite Senior Member

They’re probably using a 15 foot batwing mower and you’re probably using a 60” or less lawnmower. That’s like comparing a wheel barrel to a dump truck.

zraffz, AlohaMowing and Cam15 like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

Have an in on the job, otherwise you're correct.

I'm still alive, so thanks! How about yourself?

Median mowing I suspect is like that, but they don't care how it looks. supposedly they do.

Ok, thanks. That's pretty cheap. I won't touch it for that, especially the dam. She's steep.

Ok, thanks. That's pretty cheap also. I could maybe see the flat area for that, but not the dam.

Don't have, but have a re-built 12' bat for $7k sourced. Tractor is about $15k with rebuilt motor. 90hp.

5 year contract

Cam15 likes this.