76 acre dam mowing. Gov job. Need some inputs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sedge, Apr 24, 2019.

1. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Bronze Member

If they already have the equipment then that's one thing, but it's expensive and I would not be mowing for cheap even with a 15' bat wing. We are making a lot of assumptions on what they have lol..More expensive equipment doesn't mean it should be done cheaper.

2. weeze

weeze Banned

it's just the way the market is. if using big equipment the price is generally half as much vs using ztr mowers.

for one the finished look isn't as good but for another it takes probably 1/4th of the time to do the job.

3. landscaper22

It does make a lot of different not having to have a quality cut. Having to double cut Bahia grass is for the birds. Just running over it once with a bush hog and letting it go is a lot faster for sure. I just personally wouldn't cut my prices too low no matter what. Considering the hill and all. I don't think $50/acre is crazy or anything with big equipment. Maybe I am just crazy.
    It's just like the big area I bid on last year. One of the complaints was it just didn't look good. Well that's because you have someone bush hogging something and running over it as fast as they can. You want a quality cut on a sh*t property that needs to basically be cut twice, you gotta pay. Otherwise be happy with the bush hog lol

knox gsl, flybynite and weeze like this.
  4. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Yea

That’ll at least double your cost from accessibility standpoint and specialty equipment

Considering the description of a 21 acre “trap” (you can’t drive out of the slope)
    I don’t know if I’d even run a ventrac on that.
    Ventracs are designed for upto 30 degree slopes
    But most operate on those slopes up and down not side to side
    Which isn’t possible here.

I think without something like a spider (RC) mower I wouldn’t want to do it.
    But can you imagine the monotony of running an RC MOWER for 21 acres week after week?

I might change my mind by seeing it
    But I think it’s going to be in the $4000 cut range.
    With almost $3000 of it being the dang slope

5. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

Are there any pictures or an aerial google maps shot we could look at?

Mark Oomkes and hort101 like this.
  6. landscaper22

At least we are on the same page. No way I would cut a price down low using expensive equipment and with that slope. I just know being government it will most likely go to low bidder, and there is always someone willing to do stuff for peanuts. If he has someone helping him get the job then bid $4000/cut. Otherwise he is wasting his time. Someone will probably come in and bid $3000 or somewhere close to it.

And yeah, some pictures would be nice to see what we are dealing with.

hort101 likes this.
  7. flybynite

flybynite LawnSite Bronze Member

There's a Company named "Kut Kwick" that specializes in slope mowing and has a unit that can cut AND turn around on a 40 degree angle! Called the Super Slope mower. True zero turn mower made in the USA!

http://kutkwick.com/superslopemaster.htm

GrassManKzoo and hort101 like this.
  8. GrassManKzoo

GrassManKzoo LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Kalamazoo, MI

I’ve seen these around Detroit mowing near overpasses on the interstate. They DO handle a slope that’ll make your butt hole pucker!!

landscaper22 and UpNorthMowing like this.
  9. TPendagast

Male

Yea
    But they operate in an area where there’s a lot of this kind of work and makes sense for that kind of equipment
    Can’t just by that for one job , one day a week and have any ROI on the machine.
    Not going to be productive to use that machine on flat areas where other equipment already owned would operate.

Speciality work like that is best left to people who already do it.

Man made slopes that steep don’t make much sense
    They’re equally hard to vegetate initially in the first place

AlohaMowing likes this.
  10. TPendagast

Male

Granted this is a 30 degree slope and not a 25 degree slope
    But picture a rip rap ditch at the bottom of that.
    Even the dude walking would slip into it.

Mark Stark and GrassManKzoo like this.