76 acre dam mowing. Gov job. Need some inputs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sedge, Apr 24, 2019.

1. WishforScagWildcat

WishforScagWildcat LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

I use a Kubota F2690 to mow slopes around 30 degrees and steeper at schools in our county. I’ve also used them in retention ponds where you can’t turn around at top or bottom.... it’s really sketchy for sure but definitely possibly as long as the ground isn’t too rough... it ruts less if you run across the slope than up and down....

2. flybynite

flybynite LawnSite Bronze Member

But the machine is stopped and waiting for the operator to quit dilly dallying around and get back to work! LOL
    I was tossing something out there that to me would be the safest piece of equipment to do that much slope. Flying radio controlled airplanes like I do, I should look into doing the really hard stuff with one of them there Spider dohicky things you speak of! All while listening to some good music!

bluetruck and hort101 like this.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Probably had a heart attack due to not be on LS...lol.

What accident? I think I missed it.

Anyways, good to see you around. I'll read through, maybe I can add something other than random chatter.

RussellB likes this.
  4. Mark Oomkes

I'd ask for a demo and give it a try...but I do things my guys won't even attempt and make it through upright.

Either guts or stupidity...take your pick.

5. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Holy bat crap. Glad you're okay.

Mark Oomkes likes this.
  6. Mark Oomkes

I'd try it side to side...call me crazy.

knox gsl likes this.
  7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

There’s a rip rap ditch at the bottom the whole run
    Add in things like dew or rain
    Even sure footed equipment slips a bit.
    You don’t even see demos of the ventrac doing a slope like that side to side because they don’t want to show the fact that even they slip some

If it was a slope that went down into more regular grass ok
    But now you’ve got a tank ditch to potentially get stuck in.
    Who is going to do it?
    Employees?
    Yea...

Leave it to someone else unless you’ve got that specialty equipment already

If I had to do it
    It’d be with walk behinds

8. TPendagast

Male

Well yea
    But are you going to do TWENTY ONE acres of it weekly or even bi weekly?
    I’d venture to guess you personally have other things occupying your time.

9. OP
    OP
    sedge

sedge LawnSite Fanatic

They make them in a 4x4?

Climbing in one of our semis and dump trucks. This one was a cab over on a belly dump. Had left hand on steering wheel pulling myself in and tendon decided to pull on left elbow. Left hand let go of steering wheel. Sedge went flying backwards. Bounced his head and back of off the pavement. Was running 3 miles a day before it and sometimes can't hardly even walk now. Tried injections on my back, don't help. On maximum strength lyrica currently. Can't do regular pain meds. Can't sleep at all, plus don't help much really. From the concussion can't drive even a car over 35. My brain can't keep up with what my eyes are seeing fir some reason. Anything with a high contrast makes me feel dizzy. Even mixed shiney /dull different sized tile makes me feel like I'm the floor is in 3d and I'm in the middle of the 3d. Try navigating that one. :puke:

Fun......:waving:

Wife sold last truck last month.

I used to also. Don't anymore. :nono:

Not really ok, just a new normal. :laugh:

Thinking same. Want a 4x4 80hp+ tractor with duals.

No, no, no on the employees....:laughing:

RussellB likes this.
  10. TPendagast

Male

You’re planning on doing the job personally?

I could do it , a few times

How much time do I have to train someone on it?
    Limited

There’s lots more things i can do that I just can’t turn over to people that I don’t have... so I generally have to pass on them... and way too many of them are greater endeavors than a technically difficult mowing job.
    I don’t think they could afford me to do it... or any owner operators personal time really.

As the head honcho and king of passable knowledge and skill... what’s your real time worth?
    14 years ago mine was easily worth $100
    An hour
    It’s got to be pushing twice that today don’t think they want to pay $85 an acre for me to mow that, or you or mark or any of us.

That’s why I said, better off left to someone else with the equipment and investment in that sort of thing already, we all have a greater means to making a living and profit than personally allocating 1/7th of our summer availability to mowing a slope.

I’m not trying to sound haughty, just realizing there’s things not worth the time. No amount of money is worth an owner/ general/ops manager who’s sales and management potential is over a million gross; to allocate that much attention to something as menial as running a tractor every week or two.