80˚ bring on the crazy

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by BrandonV, Apr 14, 2018.

1. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

well we hit 80 this week and of course every client thinks their irrigation system needs to be runnig. Granted 2 weeks ago we were in the 30s. It's still raining ~1" week and nothing is needing water. It get me crazier every year

Mdirrigation, hort101 and Mike Leary like this.
  2. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Ark

Ever notice this trend, people who want the best yard often have the most issues, disease, weeds & etc.

Why....Because they OVER WATER

That is why I started a thread not long ago about moisture meters. I was asking for suggestions so I could recommend one for him, I'm thinking he killed a lot of his grass by over watering. Basically people seem to be clueless, they'll see pollen being blown around and think it's dust due to dryness even though it rained 2" a few days ago and temps are cool. Go figure

That Guy Gary and hort101 like this.
  3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Screen Shot 2018-04-14 at 4.14.39 PM.png
    I called them 'False Seasons', I've shut down in middle October hoping to sneak away for the Aspens in the Rockies, only have to have the crew fire 'em up again!

Mark Oomkes, BrandonV and hort101 like this.
  4. frumdig

frumdig LawnSite Senior Member
    from nunya

Hit here this week too... got a little warm one day and everyone's dormant grass is suddenly "all brown and dead ... i must need to water it". And it's impossible to get people to let us do winter repairs, or early start ups to take care of issues noticed in the fall...
    They're the same ones who call this week, saying 'I just put in a new driveway so there may be something wrong' show up, mainline broke, heads stuck up in the air. "Here's your backflow report, be back in a month" lol

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
    Mike Leary likes this.
  5. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

1.36 of rain in the forecast for 4/15. That will knock down the pollen and quiet the panicking clients.

hort101 likes this.
  6. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Bronze Member

I was stumped when I looked at a few dead patches in a yard that were poorly rooted in an established old lawn, couldn't find any signs of grubs or disease.

Come to find he was watering twice a day for 15 mins.

To top it all off when I brought up the patches and asked him what he does he even pointed at the neighbors and said "He hardly does anything and his lawn looks great!" :laugh:

Be more like your neighbor, your's can look great too.

1idejim, knox gsl and Mark Oomkes like this.
  7. nepa irrigation

nepa irrigation LawnSite Member

Yes sometimes less is best, I have customers water during spring and early summer when they don't need it and turn it off in summer saying water bills were to high. I always tell them save the water for when you need it.

knox gsl and BrandonV like this.
  8. Mike Leary

Once clients have a 'through the roof' water bill, they'll usually get the message. People on wells are a problem, some think it's 'free water' and more is better. As I've said before, the el cheapo Lincoln moisture meter is a great way to say, "See"?:nod:

9. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Gold Member

Someone really wanted me to turn there’s on a few weeks back . I said I couldn’t in good consciousness.

April we’ve already gotten 6.5” of rain

Mark Oomkes and Mike Leary like this.
  10. Mike Leary

I know we Washingtonians have a rep for rain, but, that is a lot! A record?