80psi desired without altering existing home / yard psi

Discussion in 'Professional Discussions' started by Garrett1234, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Garrett1234

Garrett1234 LawnSite Senior Member

Hello all
    I have an approx 300 x 100 field I’m seeking to irrigate and turn to turf field.
    My well pumps 33gpm. 5k gallon holding tank. Psi at existing yard and house approx 40 to 45 psi.
    Everything existing works great and I don’t need nor desire more pressure in these regions.
    From well I have existing 4” line run to field (field sits 10 ft at nearest point from the well).
    My question is what must I do to increase PSI to approx min 70 PSI to max 90 PSI at this field level without altering existing setup.
    I can easily have electricity run to this field if that helps.
    Do I need to add after the existing booster and pressure tank a larger more powerful version of each starting specifically at the 4” line to this field?
    My desire is to run falcon 6504’s or even possibly 8005 series but want to put the higher flowing nozzles in them and have them reach near max distances.
    I appreciate your input, feedback, suggestions, or better ideas on rotors/sprinklers.
    This area will serve as a “play field” if that makes a difference.
    Thank you

2. Mudly

Mudly LawnSite Senior Member

Well i had it all figured out untill you wanted full flow and distance lol. How many heads per zone you thinking?

3. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Platinum Member

If the 4” line is separate from the house install a booster pump on a relay for the zones which require higher pressure. But why the tank? Does the well make 33gpm all day or does it draw down. What pressurizes the storage water? Lots of variables here

RhettMan and Mudly like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Hello GM: yes, there are four separate “runs” from the well. Fire / house / 2 yard. Each yard run has a split (Y) from the well. The 4” pipe i wish to have higher PSI is one of the above yard run “splits” and has nothing on it currently. So that 4” line could be isolated after the split. The well pumps 33gpm into the 5k gallon storage tank. There’s a float on the tank which triggers the well to pump. The last well test shows during a 5 hour test (water at 36 feet. Pump at 60ft. First two hours water dropped to 38 feet. Zero drop remaining 3 hours. 3 minutes for water level to reach back to 36ft). Property was previously a nursery for plants and flowers.

Pressure from tank: All pressure (excluding fire which is gravity) comes from booster and pressure tank.

Thanks GM. Appreciate ya

5. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Hello mudly: I would optimally like to use three zones and 4 rotors per zone. I would like to reduce to two zones and higher rotor count however if my well only makes 33 gpm I don’t want to draw down against the tank if I can help it due to other uses needed for water at the same time.

6. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

I apologize. I just re read what I wrote. Three zones 6 rotors per zone. Total 18 heads. Not 4. Sorry

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Unless this is going to be an athletic field with heads to match, the need for your desired sprinkler heads/spacing is not established. Strictly as a lawn, you employ standard-issue rotors in whatever spacing the available pressure allows.

RhettMan and Delmarva Keith like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Garrett1234

Hello wet boots:
    I’m desiring the psi to get to the rotor count and gpm I desire.
    With a range of 70 to 90 it allows me to select between 6504’s or 8500’s. With these preselected counts and sprinklers I could use 55 to 70ft spacing comfortably accounting for descent overlap for wind.
    The part I’m not familiar with and struggling to comprehend is adding a second booster or pressure tank to get the psi up for this area and not alter existing psi.
    Thank you.

9. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Platinum Member

I think Boots’ point was that you could get green grass for less money with the pressure you have using residential components

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

^^^^ Bingo!