• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

8hp briggs puking oil

thelawnguy

LawnSite Silver Member
Used my 8hp blower today, 8 hp B&S I/C, after an hour the engine was covered with oil, and I mean COVERED, seems to be coming from everywhere. Any suggestions on where to start looking will be appreciated. And yes, the breather hose is hooked up, thats the first thing I checked.<p>Bill

EDL

LawnSite Member
Most likely the head gasket is gone, the 8s are known for it. I had one go on a blower last fall.

Richard Martin

LawnSite Fanatic
Before you yank the head do a compression test. Test it once to get a baseline number and then pour a little oil in the cylinder and do it again. If the compression raises significantly (by 20% or more) then it has bad rings or stuck rings. You did winterize it before putting it away last year didn't you? A broken or cracked valve could also cause the engine to blow oil.

OP
T

thelawnguy

LawnSite Silver Member
Thank you EDL for your help. I replaced the head gasket last Saturday and finally got to use the blower for an extended period today blowing wet grass. No more oil puking. Thanks again!<p>Bill<p>PS What a simple job, except for the starter housing bolts on the bottom, dont the blower mfrs think of these things???