1. Trouble Finding PPE, Sanitizer, and Cleaning Supplies?

How can you get what you need for the safety of your crews? Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

8hp briggs puking oil

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thelawnguy, Mar 20, 2000.

1. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Used my 8hp blower today, 8 hp B&S I/C, after an hour the engine was covered with oil, and I mean COVERED, seems to be coming from everywhere. Any suggestions on where to start looking will be appreciated. And yes, the breather hose is hooked up, thats the first thing I checked.<p>Bill

2. EDL

EDL LawnSite Member
    from MA

Most likely the head gasket is gone, the 8s are known for it. I had one go on a blower last fall.

3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Before you yank the head do a compression test. Test it once to get a baseline number and then pour a little oil in the cylinder and do it again. If the compression raises significantly (by 20% or more) then it has bad rings or stuck rings. You did winterize it before putting it away last year didn't you? A broken or cracked valve could also cause the engine to blow oil.

4. OP
    OP
    thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Thank you EDL for your help. I replaced the head gasket last Saturday and finally got to use the blower for an extended period today blowing wet grass. No more oil puking. Thanks again!<p>Bill<p>PS What a simple job, except for the starter housing bolts on the bottom, dont the blower mfrs think of these things???