915b 7 iron idlers and spindle

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Grantham Richardson, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Grantham Richardson

Grantham Richardson LawnSite Member

I lossened the belt to check the deck over and found both idlers have a bit of play in them and the left side spindle has a little play and is gritty. Mower has 93 hours on it with warranty till July 19. Are these parts covered by the warranty? The blade and spindle look fine. The cut is great too.

The mower is new to me and looks like it was well taken care of. Still has tits on the tires.

Thanks

2. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, bunky, the warranty is usually spelled out in the owners manual. Download ya a copy here : GOOGLE

3. Grantham Richardson

Manual does not detail what it covers. I was curious if anyone had this covered under warranty. If not I can fix it myself. I was hoping to get an answer before disassembling the deck.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Scag just covered a spindle on swzt.....top bearing froze.

5. Grantham Richardson

On the idlers, should these be stiff with no play or is a little play acceptable? They both have the same amount of play.

6. BigFish

BigFish LawnSite Platinum Member

A little bit of play is acceptable. They should be non replaceable sealed bearings, no?
    Yer best bet on the warranty is to call yer local J.D. dealer.

hort101 likes this.
  7. TLAR

TLAR LawnSite Member
    Male, from Goshen AL

About a year ago, the left spindle on my Z920M with 20 hrs roared like an airplane when the blades were engaged. I took the spindle in and my dealer handed me a new one.

8. Grantham Richardson

I took the mower to my local Deere dealer on Wednesday and had it fixed under warranty and picked it up today. I have a new spindle assembly. They did not replace the idler pulleys since a new one had more play than the ones on my mower.

9. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

wow. my john deere spindles have 1200hrs and i've never had any issues with the spindles or idlers.