1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

99 F150 Battery Light

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by anj, Jul 26, 2007.

1. anj

anj LawnSite Member

Before I Got To My First Site This Morning My Battery Light Came On. I Thought Maybe The Battery Was Going Dead Eventhough I Have Never Had That Light Come On Because Of A Dead Batt. We Made It Through The Day And On The Way Home On I-285 South All My Gauges Went Off. I Was In The Middle Lane And Had Enough Speed To Get Over To The Emegency Exit. I Called My Wife And Told Her To Go To The Auto Parts Store And Get Me A Batt. Long Story Short The Light Is Still On. When I Got Home I Got My Meter And Checked To See How Much The Alt. Was Putting Out. The Meter Only Read 12v. I Know It Should Be Higher. Is My Alt. Bad Or Is There Another Electrical Problem?

2. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

check the battery voltaage while the truck is running, it should be about 14V, if it isn't, then you have some electrical problem, maybe a faulty ground, or even coroded terminals will cause resistance in the alternator.

3. anj

anj LawnSite Member

I DID CHECK IT WHILE IT WAS RUNNIG AND IT WAS ONLY 12V. Terminals Were Clean I Hope Its Nothing Major.

4. PROFESSORRAIN

PROFESSORRAIN LawnSite Member

alt should put out 13.5 volts take it off and take it to advance auto or drive it if possible they will ck for free