Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I have noticed a couple things on my Lazer (other than the obvious EFI Kohler problems :D ) that I think could be changed for the better. Here they are:

1. The new, improved, fully-welded anti-scalp roller mounting plates. Looks good from the top, but they are wide open underneath. Grass gets stuck in there! Especially on the lip on the deck. You have to dig it out with your fingers. At least when they were open you could blow it out or knock it out with a stick or something. They need to be welded up completely.

2. What is with the skid strips in the foot well? They're like paper. These are what mine look like at 5 months old and 150 hours. They really need to do something about these.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Grille Automotive lighting Bumper

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BTW, here's a pic of the anti-scalp roller plates that were welded up in 2003. I only figured out later that this was not such a good idea. Now the triangular hole underneath isn't all that big, but it's plenty big to get wet grass clippings stuck up in there. And just small enough that it makes it a pain in the azz to get it out :dizzy:

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Red Bumper

·
Registered
219 Posts
Is your lazer out in the rain and elements all of the time, It looks rusty on the control panel!????

·
Registered
4,771 Posts
Originally posted by GreenMachine102
Is your lazer out in the rain and elements all of the time, It looks rusty on the control panel!????
Thats not his lazer, it's his 4 year old Kees with 1810 hours on it that stays out all the time.

MATT

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Looks like Exmark went cheap on the skid tape compared to Kees. Actually I've never seen skid tape hold up as well as it has on that Kees.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
Maybe Exmark should using extruded metal for their foot pan. Jd is doing it on their new ztrs. Pic turned out kind of blurry but you can see the raised holes in the foot pan for safety.

Green Motor vehicle Hood Office equipment Typewriter

·
Registered
477 Posts
What do you do to that foot plate ?!?!?

I have an HP with 150 hours on it, the foot plate area still looks brand new.
Have you been blasting it with a pressure washer????
Does the machine stay outside?????

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
The opening for the anti sca;p rollers; give or take. I got them open and would like the closed ones. Why not just close the bottem off too?

All my foot plates look like your with many more hours on them though, no biggy. It s from pressure washing it.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Keith that is a pita to dig out the grass that gets welded in the rollers, You could go to Graingers and get some new skid tape, alot thicker than that already on the plate, still like LGF said its really no biggie.......Marks Mowing Service

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hey Keith,
Some interesting things you are pointing out here. Maybe you should send these pics and your ideas as to how to improve on it to the design engineers at Exmark. These guys are continiously working to improve on the quality of their product and all they need is the kind of valuable input you are giving here. This is of no value unless its on their desk.
Did you know that Kees and Exmark gets manufactured in the same town - Beatrice, NE? They also manufacture the Husqvarna and Encore mowers here.
Local LCO's often get prototypes to use and to put it through it's pases and then give their input on it. Back at the factory after a few mowings the machine gets chopped up, stuff gets welded on, different belts, hydraulic pump and motor combinations, seats, etc., etc. and it's back on the lawns.
Anyhow, just thought you might want to send this info to the guys that really need it.
Good Luck

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
Originally posted by pcnservices

Did you know that Kees and Exmark gets manufactured in the same town - Beatrice, NE? They also manufacture the Husqvarna and Encore mowers here.
Did you know the guys who started Exmark, Kees/Yazoo, Encore all worked as executives for Bunton, before ms. bunton got married to mr buyers?

Ghee I wonder what happened after they no longer worked there in the '70s.

Up came Exmark, Yazoo, Kees, Encore, then many years later Mr buyers and Mrs. Bunton got a devorce, then along came Buyers, then Bunton sold out to Textron.

·
Registered
7,940 Posts
Keith,

My Lazer is coming up on 3 years old and close to 1000 hrs, and my tread grips are like they were 3 years ago. Maybe they switched suppliers of grip tape?

As for the open vs. closed antiscalp brackets. I kinda like the open ones I have. A quick blast with the blower and it sucks the grass right outa the hole! If it gets bad, a screwdriver is all it takes to scrape it out. The new system looks STRONGER to me, but I can see where grass would build-up in the underside cup. Could you fill it with anything? Caulk? Expanding Foam? I don't think you'll EVER have to worry about them rusting out, so I wouldn't loose sleep over it!

And one more thing on that new deck picture.....LOOK at that quality weld job! You don't see that on a DC!!! :eek:

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I meant to reply earlier, unfortunately the computer got hit by lightning :eek: I'm using a buddies computer now to get emails and check out lawnsite :eek: Anyway, no washing of any sort. The mower does not stay out all the time, but it does get caught in the frequent Florida downpours :D It did get stuck out on the dealer's back lot that time it was in for service for 16 days though :mad: Not sure the strips should look that bad though.

Later on fellas. I'll see you guys back here in a few days when I figure out what the hell to do about a new computer.

Keith

·
Registered
13,488 Posts
Wow. I think the foam fill idea is a great one The good thing about this stuff, is that it's waterproof. I shouldn't let it just fill with grass and leave it, as that grass holds alot of moisture when it gets wet or even damp. In time, we know what would happen.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.