• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

A day in the life of a plowboy

jaclawn

LawnSite Senior Member
What is your typical day like?

9 out of 10 for me are as follows: Get up at 2:00 a.m. look out window. Go back to bed. Get up at 4:00 a.m. look out window. Get on with rest of non snow activities after 4:00 a.m.

1 out of 10 is like this: Get up at 2:00 a.m. look out window. See snow. Hop into clothes, start truck, head out, plow and salt till about 10:00 a.m. Come back to shop, hose off truck, re-load with salt if more snow is expected, then head home. Stay up all day. Go to bet at 10:00 p.m. Get up at 2:00 a.m. hoping for snow.

Deere John

LawnSite Senior Member
Same here - 2 am, check.
Three am, ask wife to check.
four am - on the road with cereal in belly.
eight am, breakky proper.
9:30 complain about traffic
11:00 complain about sore neck
2 pm - eagerly listen to the new forecast.

Gotta love it.

thelawnguy

LawnSite Silver Member
For snow, I need to be out on the road by 3 am if I expect to have my big lot done before cars start filling the parking spaces :( If its just sanding I need to be on site by 5:30am. Then I start my residentials. Today I was finished with my 3 lots and 30 residentials by 11:30am thanx to my newly hired helper (see related thread-to-be) Usually for this type storm Id be out to 3 or so (2-3 inches).

Im usually up every hour or so if I know a storm is brewing, just kinda take catnaps until its time to roll. Must be the fear of oversleeping.