• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

A dealer told me Chinese engines are getting pretty good

THC

LawnSite Silver Member
We were talking about replacing a Tecumseh piece of crap I have, I don't have to do it now but he was showing me a china one. I forget the name but it's very boxy, completely different set up for a snow blower.

You guys think that's just a sales pitch?

OP
T

THC

LawnSite Silver Member
Yeah, kohler makes one for that snowblower. I think the price difference was $700 for kohler compared to $450 for the wang chung. Apparently all the MTD's have chinese motors now but my snow blower is a toro with tecumshe engine.

KarambaStar

LawnSite Member
Kohler's new engines (including the snowblower engine) is made in China. Briggs is now making some of their new models (low HP) in China too. Are they junk? I wouldn't say that, because they haven't been out long enough to prove themselves. However, I would recommend going with a well known brand any day. You never know if parts are going to be available, etc.

mowingmachine

LawnSite Senior Member
We were talking about replacing a Tecumseh piece of crap I have, I don't have to do it now but he was showing me a china one. I forget the name but it's very boxy, completely different set up for a snow blower.
Other than some carb issues, I would have to say that Tecumseh made a great snowblower engine. They start easy even at very cold temps. All of the expensive snowblowers (except Honda) used Tecumseh engines.

OP
T

THC

LawnSite Silver Member
Well the carb is pretty important and You can't buy one anymore. You can only get the rebuild kits. That was the major problem I had but I managed to get a carb off an older engine.

newz7151

LawnSite Silver Member
Well the carb is pretty important and You can't buy one anymore. You can only get the rebuild kits. That was the major problem I had but I managed to get a carb off an older engine.
Aftermarket replacement for some Tecumseh carbs are available through a new source.

kaferhaus

LawnSite Bronze Member
Most of the parts in the Honda engines 8HP and smaller are made in china and have been for several years.

You can buy a 6HP Honda "clone" from HF for under $200, we have one on a air compressor that gets the crap run out of it and It's held up very well. Every part on it will interchange with the Honda.

AintNoFun

LawnSite Bronze Member
i bought a trash pump from pep boys it has a honda like chinese motor on it.. i bought the thing probably 4 years and it runs like a champ still.. i figured itd be a throw away but i needed one right then and there as my other pump with a honda on it took a crap...