1. Complete Our Survey For A Chance To Win A $50 Amazon Gift Card
    We’d like to know your thoughts about LawnSite, and how we can make our community a more useful resource for your lawn care and landscaping needs. Please click here to take the survey, which should only take five minutes to complete. One winner will be chosen at random to win a $50 Amazon gift card.
    Dismiss Notice

A magnolia, but what kind?

Discussion in 'Nurseries and Growers' started by doctorjae, Jul 30, 2019.

1. doctorjae

doctorjae LawnSite Member

Hello folks, first post here, maybe someone can help (I've enjoyed lurking thus far, and appreciate the knowledge!). So we just bought a home and builders put a magnolia smack-dab in the middle of the front yard. I don't want it there, would like to move it, and I guess it's important to know if this thing's gonna get 15 or 60 feet tall. But I've gotten no response from landscapers and can't get much further than it is some variety of southern magnolia, I think. I would hope that they'd put a smaller version, considering how small the property is, but who knows.
    Any tips to differentiate? Here's a few pics. I can take more. Currently the tree is about 7ft tall, it has flowered a couple times already. The flowers in the pic are about 6" wide and the leaves are roughly 4-6" stem to tip, & 2-3" wide. Ignore the file names, I just called them whatev.
    Thanks in advance! tree flower.jpg tree bud and leaves.jpg tree bean.jpg

2. hal

hal LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

Might be a Little Gem, google magnolias and look at the images. If not call a local nursery, if need be take a sample to them.

doctorjae likes this.
  3. Idlewild

Idlewild LawnSite Member

As Hal mentioned, this is a Magnolia ‘Little Gem’, the pronounced cinnamon color on the underside
    of foliage, as well as the leaf size in general are a few signatures of this cultivar.
    At maturity, approx. 20’,this will not grow to the width or height of the traditional southern Magnolia grandiflora. If you’re contemplating a relocation, I would suggest waiting until mid fall.

doctorjae and hort101 like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    doctorjae

doctorjae LawnSite Member

That's fantastic, and i appreciate u both replying. A smaller one is what i was hoping for. As for the relocate, thank you, that was my next study, when to move it...now I'll figure out where I want it and how it'll fit in the picture. I'll be posting for help in that section in the near future. Thanks again for the assist!

hort101 likes this.