A man's world, but not really

Hayduke

LawnSite Senior Member
Several female landscape contractors in my area I consider my competition and they seem to have no trouble getting established and plenty of work. Motivation and determination not gender determinate qualities.

Keith4216

LawnSite Member
Its all in your head. I've worked with and had females work for me. There's a few companies run by females in my area that do fine. Females usually have a better eye and patience for the details in my experience and I'd hire one any day over some slack as boys.
But if you show up with your nails done I might second guess you. Lol.

Last edited:

GSO LAWNEN4CER

LawnSite Senior Member
I’ve seen a few female crews in my area. Was at the sheetz station filling up equipment and two chicks pulled up at the next island.

No gloves

LawnSite Senior Member
my teenage daughter is a very good helper to me.i told my wife she should cut lawns instead of getting a fast food job because it would have more flexible hours and she's very likeable which could lead to better job recommendations from clients.(not sure I was totally serious about all this because nobody really wants their daughter working cutting lawns for obvious reasons but I brought it up.)anyways my wife said most women hire lawn care maintenance and no woman would hire a woman to cut their lawn because it would make the wife look bad.makes sense.but I would prefer a woman to design a landscape because I think they would be more considerate than a man on placement of plants and future issues.

Hayduke

LawnSite Senior Member
Jeez, that just about sums up gender dynamics in America! Most all of my clients are couples, and the wife holds the reigns 90% of the time when it comes to hiring or firing service people. Never thought about the fact that the women would be prejudiced against hiring women to do to do work for them, but I absolutely get it now....But most of the designers here are women!!

Mowing monkey.

LawnSite Bronze Member
my teenage daughter is a very good helper to me.i told my wife she should cut lawns instead of getting a fast food job because it would have more flexible hours and she's very likeable which could lead to better job recommendations from clients.(not sure I was totally serious about all this because nobody really wants their daughter working cutting lawns for obvious reasons but I brought it up.)anyways my wife said most women hire lawn care maintenance and no woman would hire a woman to cut their lawn because it would make the wife look bad.makes sense.but I would prefer a woman to design a landscape because I think they would be more considerate than a man on placement of plants and future issues.
I don’t mow a lot of grass now but I did all through high school. I still do the better mowing jobs now. I made more money in one day probably 50 percent more than I could have working a fast food job all week.