• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

A Message to all the Newbies passing out Flyers

Just a few words of advice to you guys new in the business who are passing out flyers. First off, I would like to say that I wish you all the best in your business and wish you nothing but success.

We do flyers ourselves. If you place a flyer on the side of a mailbox like between the flag and the box, we all know its a 'borderline' issue about legalities and so forth. We do it ourselves and take the chance because we think its worth it and so far havent had many complaints. BUT if you go out to a neighborhood and there is already a flyer on the mailbox, I would strongly suggest just waiting a day or two and go back and hit that neighborhood then. If you do not want to do that then dont be so insecure with yourself and inconsiderate of the prospective customer and the other service provider by taking that one down, throwing it on the ground and placing yours in place of it. Dont for a second think that a potential customer is going to walk out there to his/her box and see yours and the other one on the ground and not know who threw that on the ground. All you will do is make yourself look like an idiot and you are the kind of individual that gets the postmaster (because everyone starts calling him)and every one in that neighbor hood pissed at all of us. And when you are going thru these neighborhoods, take the time to actually glance at the house. If no one lives there, DONT leave a flyer. Another fine way to get you run out of the neighborhood is littering up an empty property.

Best of luck to you!

IN2MOWN

LawnSite Platinum Member
Sorry but I disagree. I understand what you are saying but you are also encouraging people to break the law by placing a flyer on a mailbox.

Whoever knowingly and willfully deposits any mailable matter such as statements of accounts, circulars, sale bills, or other like matter, on which no postage has been paid, in any letter box, around a letter box or near a letter box, established, approved, or accepted by the Postal Service for the receipt or delivery of mail matter on any mail route with intent to avoid payment of lawful postage thereon, shall for each such offense be fined under this title. AMENDMENTS 1994 - Pub. L. 103-322 substituted "fined under this title" for "fined not more than $300". 1970 - Pub. L. 91-375 substituted "Postal Service" for "Postmaster General". EFFECTIVE DATE OF 1970 AMENDMENT Amendment by Pub. L. 91-375 effective within 1 year after Aug. 12, 1970, on date established therefor by Board of Governors of United States Postal Service and published by it in Federal Register, see section 15(a) of Pub. L. 91-375, set out as an Effective Date note preceding section 101 of Title 39, Postal Service.

Just dont do it at all!

Get some of those small plastic baggies that hang from doors, put the flyers in there and put them on the doorknob.

OP
H

HARRIS Property Management

LawnSite Member
Im glad you posted that so people can see the penalty, just so you know many cities also have 'no soliciting' ordinaces in place that carry fines also, so it may not be the best idea to encourage that either. The mailbox thread issues comes up quite frequently and Im not debating that particular issue....just some FYI.

IN2MOWN

LawnSite Platinum Member
Im glad you posted that so people can see the penalty, just so you know many cities also have 'no soliciting' ordinaces in place that carry fines also, so it may not be the best idea to encourage that either. The mailbox thread issues comes up quite frequently and Im not debating that particular issue....just some FYI.

I dont know of any entire city that has a no soliciting law. From what I understand it goes by neighborhoods and/or houses.

FourTrees

LawnSite Senior Member
The city ordinance if any will be some sort of solicitor registration. Most city's do have this in place, although nearly all businesses ignore this.

joel29m

LawnSite Senior Member
The city ordinance if any will be some sort of solicitor registration. Most city's do have this in place, although nearly all businesses ignore this.
they wont if a fine comes. listening to a brother n law almost got me in trouble, in 09 i was putting them IN THE MAILBOX! AND WAS VERY NOTICEABLE DRIVING ON THE OPPISITE SIDE OF THE ROAD!:nono::nono::nono::nono: i really regret that and thank god some people dont know all the laws cause i met up with one outside putting one in hers.

bohiaa

LawnSite Fanatic
I dont know of any entire city that has a no soliciting law. From what I understand it goes by neighborhoods and/or houses.
Check Bellville TEXAS, SEALY TEXAS.

you may be surprised......

a lot of times a NO solicting law is another way for a city to get more money.
you can get a permit

IN2MOWN

LawnSite Platinum Member
Check Bellville TEXAS, SEALY TEXAS.

you may be surprised......

a lot of times a NO solicting law is another way for a city to get more money.
you can get a permit

Thats not what I meant. I was talking about an overall ban on any sort of soliciting, permit or not.

The fact that someone can apply for a permit to solicit makes it legal and not comparable to stuffing flyers in a mailbox which is illegal.

Darryl G

Inactive
Around here the mail carrier will collect all the flyers and then the company who put them there gets charged the postage that would have been due in addition to any fine.