A New One

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
Customer calls and says fittings blew off pump. Customer went ahead and repaired fittings/piping. Thought I'd go through stations to see the "why" it blew. While hooking up remote I start going through settings just to see if there's anything funky. Then I noticed, stations 10-12 show up even though there's only 9 stations. The slot for 10-12 module is empty. This is an older Pro-C with grey modules. There was time showing on station 10 so it turned the pump on with no where for the water to go and kaboom. Anyway, new to me though I'm sure y'all have seen something similar

BTW, the customer's repair did not hold. Half way through it came apart. He cut the pipe short and only had maybe 3/4" of pipe in a 1.5" socket

mitchgo

LawnSite Gold Member
Dang old controller! Those first pro-c's do have weird zone run times displays.. For lakes- we actually run a 1/4 drip line right after the pump back down to the water. We install a double union clear check valve after the drip line so we don't drain the entire main ( Not that it really matters as long as he pump stays primed) . The idea is if there was a downed zone or improperly programmed non used zone then the pump can have enough water to cycle through that duration to keep it cool enough from overheating. Obviously if the non working zone was set for 4-6 hours then the 1/4" couldn't keep up. But 30 min or so

RhettMan

LawnSite Gold Member
iv come across a pro-c that would spook-ily revert pump settings back to "off" on certain stations.

Homeowner said he didn't touch it, I offered replacement, he declined.

"Reset controller to 12:00" and reprogrammed, and explained while he watched.

Customer called 3 weeks later for same issue, i visited and same setting pattern.

Still doesn't want to replace controller.

(the original controller and system not mine, nor any of it, for that matter.)

Sometimes, i just dont know what to say.

People.

Last edited:
OP
A

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
iv come across a pro-c that would spook-ily revert pump settings back to "off" on certain stations.

Customer called 3 weeks later for same issue, i visited and same setting pattern.

People.

People.
Are you charging each time you go out?

i often see run times way out of whack on Pro C’s. 6:00 hrs is common, you’ll press the - button and it will go Strait back to where it Was set. Not picking on the Pro C maybe I just see more of them than other brands.

i suppose it happens to all, or not?

frumdig

LawnSite Senior Member
I've been seeing those 6hr run time changes for awhile now. Pretty annoying for the customer. I always recommend replacing but a few of the customers tight on money refuse. We have a slightly lower service call rate for simple controller reprogram. But after that first time seeing it they are made well aware of what can happen again. And how much money in water they are wasting. I've gotten rid of most of them. Sometimes a hard reset works. I can think of one going on 3 years since the last incident. Those old pro c do some weird stuff. Time and date will sometimes show an impossible time like, 34:30 o'clock. And dates that aren't possible either.

Old pro c's and leaky pgp's grrrrrr. I really enjoying swapping out systems full of leaky pgp's. They usually weren't nozzled right from the get go, so by the time you replace and re nozzle the coverage difference is very noticeable.

RhettMan

LawnSite Gold Member
Are you charging each time you go out?

i often see run times way out of whack on Pro C’s. 6:00 hrs is common, you’ll press the - button and it will go Strait back to where it Was set. Not picking on the Pro C maybe I just see more of them than other brands.

i suppose it happens to all, or not?
let me just say,
sometimes charging the wrong kind of person (as described above) is more trouble than its worth.

If they arent seemingly reasonable, especially on a repetitive basis after slow and patient explanation of things, you certainly dont want them to feel you are in their debt.

OP
A

ArTurf

LawnSite Fanatic
I've been seeing those 6hr run time changes for awhile now. Pretty annoying for the customer. I always recommend replacing but a few of the customers tight on money refuse. We have a slightly lower service call rate for simple controller reprogram. But after that first time seeing it they are made well aware of what can happen again. And how much money in water they are wasting. I've gotten rid of most of them. Sometimes a hard reset works. I can think of one going on 3 years since the last incident. Those old pro c do some weird stuff. Time and date will sometimes show an impossible time like, 34:30 o'clock. And dates that aren't possible either.

Old pro c's and leaky pgp's grrrrrr. I really enjoying swapping out systems full of leaky pgp's. They usually weren't nozzled right from the get go, so by the time you replace and re nozzle the coverage difference is very noticeable.
Ground Hog Day

Ditto, Replace all the leakers on a zone with proper nozzles and I've seen the pressure go from low teens to north of 30

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
You should just be able to replace the face on the pro c
No need to pull off the whole clock and rewire