Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure many of you have seen the product that is used to aid in watering problems for plant material. It comes in a gel with the consistancy of a rubbery slime and is placed in the soil around the root zone. This will supposedly take the place of watering during dry periods for up to 3 months.

My lawn care product distibuter has a granular product that works the same way for plant material, but he didn't mention using it on the lawn. He claims that the product lasts up to 2 years in the soil. Why not spread this out over the lawn after aeration? Will this product solve watering problems for those lawns without an irrigation system? Could this be a new step in lawn renovation? Unfortunately I didn't get the product name, but I will respond back with it later. I was just curious if any of you have used it in this way? Just a thought.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah I've heard of the product. The one my supplier tried to talk me into using on a re-sod job was called 'Terra Sorb' Hydogel. He stated that it did not take much product per 1000 feet - maybe 3#/1000. He also said that the product was supposed to last a long time. It is actually an acrylamide copolymer gel that absorbs hundreds of times it weight in water then slowly releases it

The info I have here says -

"Sodding, Seeding or Sprigging: Terra Sorb is mixed into the top 2" of soil at a rate of 3#/1000 sf or 150# per acre prior to seeding, sodding or sprigging. Apply by shaker, drop spreader or hand, then rake or rototill in. Not recommended as a topdressing on already establihed turf."

5# Jug = $28.50 50# Box $178.50

BTW, I didn't use it.

DaleL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.