A new trend?

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
Not really anything new. Newspaper and cardboard have been being used as a weed barrier for a long time around here. Most don’t use it around trees tho. Flower beds and vegetable gardens are where I see it the most. The majority of people that use it are retired farmers or environmental nuts. Had a lady explain how much better for the environment that method is than weed fabric. She didn’t have any answers about the harm the ink and glue could do tho.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Not really anything new. Newspaper and cardboard have been being used as a weed barrier for a long time around here. Most don’t use it around trees tho. Flower beds and vegetable gardens are where I see it the most. The majority of people that use it are retired farmers or environmental nuts. Had a lady explain how much better for the environment that method is than weed fabric. She didn’t have any answers about the harm the ink and glue could do tho.
Is there any evidence that the glue and ink are harmful? I have no idea.

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member
Is there any evidence that the glue and ink are harmful? I have no idea.
Not that I’ve ever found but when I was researching about composting a few ag articles did mention not using any newspaper with the wax coating because the ink will leach. I dunno how true or how bad it really is tho. As for the glue, it said about the same but mentioned it was better to burn the cardboard and then put the ashes into the compost pile. Mainly just so it would decompose faster instead of compacting and restricting oxygen.

I just asked her about it to be a smart a$$ cuz she was kinda crazy and one of those types where her way is the best way type of people.

sjessen

LawnSite Fanatic
Not that I’ve ever found but when I was researching about composting a few ag articles did mention not using any newspaper with the wax coating because the ink will leach. I dunno how true or how bad it really is tho. As for the glue, it said about the same but mentioned it was better to burn the cardboard and then put the ashes into the compost pile. Mainly just so it would decompose faster instead of compacting and restricting oxygen.

I just asked her about it to be a smart a$$ cuz she was kinda crazy and one of those types where her way is the best way type of people.
Gotcha. Thanks.

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
I always tell people landscape fabric is an environmental disaster. Once it enters the environment it never leaves. Sod grows over it, weeds infiltrate it. Never had good results with the stuff except under rock.
I've heard for years too about newspapers and cardboard for underlayment. What I've heard its pretty good for one season.