A year after buying Ferris mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by dathorpe, Mar 9, 2019.

1. dathorpe

dathorpe LawnSite Senior Member

In the spring of 2018, I decided to replace some of my Scag mowers with Ferris Z2 stander mowers. I chose to make the switch to Ferris because their Z2 stander was far superior to the Scag V-Ride 2. I wrote a review on this website after demoing and comparing the two machines side by side over the course of several days. I was so blown away by the Ferris Z2 stander that I ended up purchasing several Ferris machines. I bought two Ferris Z2 standers in 61", one Ferris Z3 in 72", one Ferris FW35 walk behind in 48", and one Ferris FW25 walk behind in 36". A year later, I'm more convinced than ever that I made the right choice. Here are some thoughts on the machines I purchased...

Ferris Z2 standers (61", 28 EFI Vanguard, oil guard) - As close to perfect as you can get. Fast, light, nimble, the balance is incredible, hangs hills amazingly well, great fuel economy, great cut, great power... absolutely love the Z2. Would buy it again... and honestly, I probably will buy a couple more. Highly recommend this machine. The only con I can think of is that the anti-scalp rollers are not adjustable.

Ferris Z3 stander (72", 37 EFI Vanguard, oil guard) - Really good machine. Excellent cut. Great balance, tons of power. Very heavy... definitely not light & nimble like the Z2. Because of the Z3's weight, it tends to tear lawn if you try to be too quick with it. I really like the Z3 but I don't think I would buy it in a 61" or smaller. As a 72", I'm very pleased.

FW35 (48", 20hp Kawi, CC handles) - Great machine. This thing is the cadillac of walk behind mowers... and I should know, I've been working in the landscape industry since 1981 and have run just about every color of mower there is. The FW35 sticks to hills like glue, power to burn, built like a tank, love the deck height adjustment, complete operator comfort, smooth as butter, no hand fatigue. The CC handles are similar to the eXmark ECS handles... which I love. I used to be an eXmark guy. Owned Lasers, Turf Tracers, and Vikings...still own one Viking. The FW35 is the superior machine. Two cons - fuel tank location and machine weight. While not a big issue, the fuel tank is very exposed and could possibly get snagged or punctured. The weight of the FW35 is 800 lbs. That is very heavy for a walk... and it means that you're most likely not going to muscle it out of trouble if it gets stuck.

FW25 (36", 18.5hp Kawi, CC handles) - The same comments as the FW35 seen above for the most part. There are some differences. I wish the FW25 had the same deck height adjustment as the FW35. Instead, it has the stone age era "pins & poles" deck lift system that eXmark uses. Still, a great 36" with tons of power and excellent operator comfort. The Ferris walks are easily the nicest of any walk behind mowers I've run.

I've spoke with my Ferris dealer and ordered the new FW15 32" mower w/casters for this spring. I'm anxious to try it. I could really use a 32" hydro compact mower. Finally, someone has created one... and of course, it would be Ferris who had the foresight and innovation.

I used to be all eXmark and Toro... now I only have one eXmark Viking left. I sold all my Lasers, Tracers, and Z Masters and switched to Scag in 2013 & 2014. That was a great move. I still use Scag Turf Tigers and Scag Cheetahs for my riders... and I still believe Scag makes the best riders in the industry... but I'll probably be selling my Scag walk behinds this spring. I may end up keeping my SWZT 48". When the Scag SWZT's first hit the market, a lot of people on this very website said they were "residential" mowers. LOL! My SWZT has over thirteen hundred hours on it and the only thing I ever repaired was the bearings in an idler pulley that went bad. I still love Scag... but after a year of using Ferris products, I must say I am very impressed. They are a forward thinking, very innovative company... which is an area where I believe Scag and especially eXmark are lacking.

2. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

Very nice critique! Thank you!

hort101 likes this.
  3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

Do Ferris decks perform as admirably when mowing other regional grasses?
    I'm here in Fescue country, fwiw.
    How about up North or further South?

4. OP
    OP
    dathorpe

dathorpe LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in Northern, Virginia. This is fescue country also... and it leaves an excellent cut. If pressed, I would say the Scag Velocity Plus is a little better, IMO.

I can't speak on other areas of the country... as I've only mowed lawns in Northern Virginia, D.C., and Maryland.

Harley08, Ridin' Green and Valk like this.
  5. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

Yeah, that is a concern for me too.. whatever it is, has to do well with wet dewy grass.. not that any of them does well with that, but... I run Exmark, which isn't the worst, but not the best either! I have built a relationship with my dealer over the years, which is probably one of the most important factors to me.. it'd be hard for me to switch brands, but I think about it quite often..

6. aroddy

aroddy LawnSite Senior Member

Very nice review! Glad you like your Ferris units. We sell quite a few standers at our place and vs the Scag/Bobcat standers....they are superior. I agree with the Scag riders also. They are the best cutting machines out there. They just ride rougher than the comparable Ferris units. Again- Great Review!

hort101 likes this.
  7. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

The iCD is comparable in nirtgern turf to the velocity

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Ferris actually invented and produced the first hydro walk behind ... FWIW.

I actually ran one ... I was controlled with your thumbs.... ye ole thumb buster!

9. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

Fescue here too and it cuts great...no complaints.
    20180524_101732.jpg 20180524_115711.jpg 20180526_150709.jpg 20180720_104216.jpg Lawn-Mowing-Fenton-Missouri.jpg Professional-Lawn-Mowing.png

hort101 likes this.
  10. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri