• PPP The Second Time Around
    The Emergency Coronavirus Relief Act of 2020 passed in December contained $284 billion for the renewed Paycheck Protection Program (PPP). Click here to read the article.

About to board up truck for leaves...

dcplace2004

LawnSite Senior Member
I know I am late, but I had to repair truck...I was wondering what size plywood to use...they are usually 5x8 pieces, but the thickness is the question...I want a thickness that will be strong, not flimbsy...Also, I was wondering what boards will fit in the holes of the bed of a ford f150 8 foot box...do I need to cut the boards for the holes?...thanks...

Fubba

LawnSite Senior Member
I've never done this before. However, I've worked a lot with wood and have built all kinds of crap out of plywood. They normally run in 4' by 8' sheets. 3/4" plywood is good and strong. You could even go 5/8 or even 1" if you wanted for added strength. 3/4 should be good enough though. As for the F150 question, someone else will have to chime in.

RyanD

LawnSite Member
Yes... you will need to cut the boards. That is assuming you are talking about using 2"x4". I guess you could use a smaller peice of lumber but I wouldn't. The 2"x4" should work best. The "holes" in the bed of the truck are not big enough to accept a 2x4.

rookiemower

LawnSite Senior Member
i've never seen 5x8 sheets. and 3/4 would be plenty strong for a leaf box. :cool:

RedWingsDet

LawnSite Gold Member
Heres mine. I have an 8 foot bed, but I have a toolbox, so its really a 6ft. So I built up the 6ft of bed up 2 more feet. heres what it looks like.

I just attached the boards together by using 4 2x4's and bolts. Then I mounted the stakes for the stake pockets. Put them in the slots, and then put a peice of wood across the top so they would sway when driving. They work great.