Lawn Care Forum banner

Accepting Credit Cards

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  olderthandirt 
#1 ·
I've been toying with the idea of accepting credit cards this year. To be honest, I've done zero research so far, but seems as though it could make things a bit more convenient, especially as I try to expand the maintenance side. It could also help close sales with folks who don't want to dish cash out of their pocket for a service.

Of course, all I keep hearing is it's too much money. Does anyone have any first hand experience?

Is it really that expensive for non point of sale type operations?

Are there particular vendors or systems that are better than others?

Any advice appreciated.

#3 ·
Search on this site w/ the search feature. Alot of people use Quickbooks pro or higher (basic quickbooks wont be able to run credit cards). I just signed up for the service and it is comparable. $59 fee to sign up, $17.99/month, 2.79% for keyed in transactions, and like .23 cents per transactions. No contract, no equipment, no statement fees. I think it is very comparable to what I saw locally, but this will save you time by preventing double entering the info if you use quickbooks anyway. No matter who you talk to, go with their key in rate (it is what you will be using and it is always higher than the swipe rate).

#6 ·
GreenMonster said:
thanks so far guys

no one else? :confused: :sleeping:
my wife deals with that in her store. she's trying to get me to do it, says theirs a small percentage, and a fee per transaction?? thing is, the fee may not add up to much on big payments, but small rountine lawn service bills my not pay off. i'll ask her in a minute... when her mothers on the phone, she can't get off. :rolleyes: :dizzy:

#9 ·
fga said:
also have to buy machine and supplies...
yeah, but that for a store front point of sale system, right?

For our use, you would run a customer through once a month, I would assume, thru the internet. No machine or supplies needed, right?

I'll catch up w/ ya tomorrow.... :sleeping:

#10 ·
For our use, you would run a customer through once a month, I would assume, thru the internet. No machine or supplies needed, right?

Correct. The easiest way will be to keep the number on file and run it at your convience. If you have to go and get it, swipe it, etc, whats the point? Average rates are 2.19 - 2.39% for non swiped transactions. I think the rates are going up 40 basis points soon (if they have not already)

#11 ·
No machine or supplies needed, right?
Not exactly but minimual machines to carry. I use an old knuckle buster slide machine that stays in the truck, just place card, fill in the 3 part form and swipe it. When I get home I run them through the teminal. It also give me a "hard copy" of there card should I ever need it. For this convience it cost me $5 a month plus 2.25% per transaction which I tell customers up front about and charge it to them.[although the last part is negotiable] There are many ppl that like to use it on some of the bigger jobs as it adds up on there airline pts. quickly. IMO its worth it to offer the service although I would not like to mess with it for $30 a crack for a mow, an install at 5k makes the trouble easier to bear :D

Mac

#12 ·
olderthandirt said:
For this convience it cost me $5 a month plus 2.25% per transaction which I tell customers up front about and charge it to them.[although the last part is negotiable]
Mac,

I didn't know you were a scrub! :p

Who are you using? Can you point me in their direction so I can check it out?

Thx

#13 ·
GreenMonster said:
Mac,

I didn't know you were a scrub! :p

Who are you using? Can you point me in their direction so I can check it out?

Thx
What can I say Mark ? If they want to use a card on a 5-10k job I can negotiate the 2.25% down to 1.25% or even less if I have good enough reason.Thats just the way I, as a lowly scrub work always begging and negotiating for work.
Check out Lawn & Garden Dealers Associatin 1-800-752-5296 ask for Kirk
he can explain each step of the process, BTW tell him his price might be a little high and he usually lowers it and throws in some extras.

Mac

#14 ·
olderthandirt said:
Not exactly but minimual machines to carry. I use an old knuckle buster slide machine that stays in the truck, just place card, fill in the 3 part form and swipe it. When I get home I run them through the teminal. It also give me a "hard copy" of there card should I ever need it. For this convience it cost me $5 a month plus 2.25% per transaction which I tell customers up front about and charge it to them.[although the last part is negotiable] There are many ppl that like to use it on some of the bigger jobs as it adds up on there airline pts. quickly. IMO its worth it to offer the service although I would not like to mess with it for $30 a crack for a mow, an install at 5k makes the trouble easier to bear :D

Mac
mac, when you say run it through at home, do you mean you have to call a company, or you swipe it through the digital one that runs through the phone line?

#16 ·
olderthandirt said:

Mac
Just so you know, "technically", you can't do that. It specifically states on the agreement that you will not charge your credit card customers extra. You are, however, allowed to give your cash customers a discount. Essentially, it is the same thing but you might want to work it a little different.

I just don't want you to loose your CC privileges.

#17 ·
fga said:
mac, when you say run it through at home, do you mean you have to call a company, or you swipe it through the digital one that runs through the phone line?
I do both Adam, if I used the knucle buster I dial in the cc # into the machine, if I made sale here and have the card in hand I can swipe it through. If its point of sale the rates are 1.57% instead of the 2.25% that needs to be dialed in.

Mac

#18 ·
"technically", you can't do that. It specifically states on the agreement that you will not charge your credit card customers extra.
True, but I'm not charging them "extra" i'm passing along the cost of doing business. Thats why I said I tell them about it before hand, they know exactly what it will cost them to use a cc or pay in cash. At that point its there decision. Same as all the store around here that have signs up saying that CC will be charged Xamount of $$$ for the privlage of using them.

Mac

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.