1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Accountant prices

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Feb 3, 2004.

1. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had bad luck with H&R one year I was in college made 9,000 and my return was 140.00 minus the 80.00 to have them do my taxes:confused: Then the year I started buisness, mostly bought all the equipment but didnt start any work yet and had worked a full time job that year and I ended up paying in. Went with an accountant this year grossed $29,000 this summer paid in $1,000 he found all kinds of stuff to write off, different tax breaks etc.. Accountants try and get as much money they can for you where as the big tax prep companies type in a few numbers and send you on your way. Not saying H&R is bad but I think the accountants dig a little deeper and they also guide me towards good and bad financial decisions.

2. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

I pay $95.00 per hour. Last year it was a little over $400

3. Fvstringpicker

Fvstringpicker LawnSite Fanatic

As a former partner in a CPA firm, when a person is ready to have their returns prepared, it's too late to undo the decisions they made that impact their taxes. You go with what you have and advise them for "next year". That being the case, most of the software packages are interactive enough to capture the needed historic data, and prepare the return in accordance with the tax law. From my experience good inexpensive packages include Turbotax and TaxAct(J K Lasser). Be sure and stay away from the "basic" packages and make sure it includes your type business enitity.

4. nuchdig

nuchdig LawnSite Member
    from oh

I pay $95.00 per hour. Yep, it's a bit more than Turbotax, but I've got the security of knowing that I've got a professional by my side in case of an audit.

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

around 350 for biz/pers tax prep...if you find a good one, they are well worth the fee...and their fee is tax deductible

6. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I am getting mine done in an hour....first time since I got incorporated...a little nervous.